Equivalent to DBMS_JOB

From
Arturo Pérez
Date:
Oracle has a kind of cron built-in called DBMS_JOB.  You can use
it to run SQL or stored procedures at certain times of day, etc.

Does postgreSQL offer anything similar?  And please don't
say use cron.  Cron has issues that I'd like to avoid.

Just curious, nothing more.  It would be helpful but it's not
worth a flamefest over cron versus a built-in.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Equivalent to DBMS_JOB

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Arturo Pérez writes:

> Does postgreSQL offer anything similar?

No, we tell people to use cron.

> And please don't say use cron.  Cron has issues that I'd like to avoid.

Too bad.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Equivalent to DBMS_JOB

From
david@fetter.org (David Fetter)
Date:
Arturo Pérez <fred@noplace.org> wrote:
> Oracle has a kind of cron built-in called DBMS_JOB.  You can use it
> to run SQL or stored procedures at certain times of day, etc.
>
> Does postgreSQL offer anything similar?  And please don't say use
> cron.

Why not?

> Cron has issues that I'd like to avoid.

What issues are those?  Please be specific.

Cheers,
David.
phone: +1 510 893 6100    cell: +1 415 235 3778

The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to
perfection as does communism.
                                                    George Soros

Re: Equivalent to DBMS_JOB

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 12:19:34AM -0500, Arturo Pérez wrote:

> Does postgreSQL offer anything similar?  And please don't
> say use cron.  Cron has issues that I'd like to avoid.

Huh, just curious: what issues does cron have?

"Saca el libro que tu religión considere como el indicado para encontrar la
oración que traiga paz a tu alma. Luego rebootea el computador
y ve si funciona" (Carlos Duclós)

Re: Equivalent to DBMS_JOB

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl (Alvaro Herrera) wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 12:19:34AM -0500, Arturo Pérez wrote:
>
>> Does postgreSQL offer anything similar?  And please don't
>> say use cron.  Cron has issues that I'd like to avoid.
>
> Huh, just curious: what issues does cron have?

It does have the demerit that it isn't terribly "transactional."  And
the tools for managing jobs are likewise not much transactional.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/spiritual.html

Re: Equivalent to DBMS_JOB

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Hi,

Christopher Browne schrieb:
[...]
> It does have the demerit that it isn't terribly "transactional."  And
> the tools for managing jobs are likewise not much transactional.

Are they not? May bit its not perfect with many concurrent
changes in a short period of time but in "normal" usage
its transactional enough. You can write a little script
with a non restricted language to access postgres
users cron tab from within SQL if you like. Should not
be so hard and an easy way to contribute :-)

Regards
Tino Wildenhain