Migrating Access to Postgres

From
"Bernardo Robelo"
Date:
Hi,
I am interested in migrating Microsoft Access database to Postgres
database. But I do not have idea of like initiating.  Maybe some tool
exists for this problem.
Thanks you.
Bernardo

Re: Migrating Access to Postgres

From
Patrick Welche
Date:
On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 09:23:44AM -0600, Bernardo Robelo wrote:
> Hi,
> I am interested in migrating Microsoft Access database to Postgres
> database. But I do not have idea of like initiating.  Maybe some tool
> exists for this problem.

Have a look at http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc/projdisplay.php

Cheers,

Patrick

Re: Migrating Access to Postgres

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Wednesday 01 October 2003 16:23, Bernardo Robelo wrote:
> Hi,
> I am interested in migrating Microsoft Access database to Postgres
> database. But I do not have idea of like initiating.  Maybe some tool
> exists for this problem.

pgadmin (v3) is a useful tool:
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/index.php

There is some advice here:
http://techdocs.postgresql.org

You might find the odbc driver useful:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc/projdisplay.php

I prefer to use the ODBC driver to link to tables in PG and gradually migrate
that way. A lot of people say pgadmin is great for migrating, though I've not
used it for that.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: Migrating Access to Postgres

From
Fabrizio Mazzoni
Date:
Hello .. i did the migration and my advice is that you forget about the automatic translation tools...

I took the access database and recreated all af the tables and relationships between them manually in postgres. I also
addedall the necessary indexes at design time  ..
Basiclly you have to open each table in access in desgn mode and recreate it in postgres (maybe first write it in a
textfile) with sql commands ...eg:

create table foo (a serial primary key, b varchar) ......

After that you have to migrate the queries and recreate them as views in PG...

Then i dumped all the access tables to csv files and reimported them in pg with the copy command. Another solution to
exportthe data from access to PG would be to link all the pg tables in access and execute an insert query from
access....This is a faster solution but sometimes access can run out of memory or you can get  differences and errors
inthe datatypes which are very annoying...

I kept access only as a frontend and beleive me this solution gave us a huge boost in production in our company ...

Best Rgeards,

Fabrizio Mazzoni

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:23:44 -0600 (CST)
"Bernardo Robelo" <brobelo@agssa.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am interested in migrating Microsoft Access database to Postgres
> database. But I do not have idea of like initiating.  Maybe some tool
> exists for this problem.
> Thanks you.
> Bernardo

Re: Migrating Access to Postgres

From
Jeff Eckermann
Date:
--- Fabrizio Mazzoni <veramente@libero.it> wrote:
> Hello .. i did the migration and my advice is that
> you forget about the automatic translation tools...

I have used the "migration wizard" that comes as a
plugin for PgAdminII, and was very happy with the
result.  Yes, you can do everything by hand, but why?