pg_dump "all tables" in 7.3.X

From
Paul Ramsey
Date:
We are trying to do an "all tables" dump using the 7.3.3 pg_dump, but
are getting no love.  The pg_dump command which worked before, in 7.2,
no longer returns any tables:

   pg_dump -t "*" dbname

Is this by design, or by accident?

Paul

--
       __
      /
      | Paul Ramsey
      | Refractions Research
      | Email: pramsey@refractions.net
      | Phone: (250) 885-0632
      \_

Re: pg_dump "all tables" in 7.3.X

From
Andrew Gould
Date:
--- Paul Ramsey <pramsey@refractions.net> wrote:
> We are trying to do an "all tables" dump using the
> 7.3.3 pg_dump, but
> are getting no love.  The pg_dump command which
> worked before, in 7.2,
> no longer returns any tables:
>
>    pg_dump -t "*" dbname
>
> Is this by design, or by accident?
>
> Paul

try 'pg_dumpall dbname'

Best of luck,

Andrew

Re: pg_dump "all tables" in 7.3.X

Date:
Paul Ramsey <pramsey@refractions.net> writes:
> We are trying to do an "all tables" dump using the 7.3.3 pg_dump, but
> are getting no love.  The pg_dump command which worked before, in 7.2,
> no longer returns any tables:
>    pg_dump -t "*" dbname
> Is this by design, or by accident?

By design.  Just omit the -t switch if you want all tables.

("*" is a legal table name, if perhaps not a very bright choice, so the
old behavior was really not consistent.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump "all tables" in 7.3.X

From
Paul Ramsey
Date:
What the old 7.2 behavior gave us was the ability to dump all tables and
views, but not dump all the functions and triggers. Is there an
equivalent to that behavior still around?

--
       __
      /
      | Paul Ramsey
      | Refractions Research
      | Email: pramsey@refractions.net
      | Phone: (250) 885-0632
      \_

Re: pg_dump "all tables" in 7.3.X

Date:
Paul Ramsey <pramsey@refractions.net> writes:
> What the old 7.2 behavior gave us was the ability to dump all tables and
> views, but not dump all the functions and triggers. Is there an
> equivalent to that behavior still around?

Not at the moment.  It would be a fine project to add more selectivity
options to pg_dump.

I wouldn't even object to reintroducing * into -t, if it were done
properly (ie, a real wild-card-match implementation, and not just a
two-line kluge that handles the one case) ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dump "all tables" in 7.3.X

From
Andrew Gould