Eliminating start error message: "unary operator expected"

From
Carlos

Hi Forum,
What should I correct in order to eliminate the following error message on start:
Executing /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start ..
Starting postgresql service: -sh: [: ==: unary operator expected
[  OK  ]

We installed a v7.3.2 and PostgreSQL seems to be running very well but we want to get rid of this message.

Thanks in advance for your response

Re: Eliminating start error message: "unary operator

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Carlos wrote:

> Hi Forum,
> What should I correct in order to eliminate the following error message on
> start:
> Executing /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start ..
> Starting postgresql service: -sh: [: ==: unary operator expected
> [  OK  ]
>
> We installed a v7.3.2 and PostgreSQL seems to be running very well but we
> want to get rid of this message.

How did you install postgresql (rpms, source code) and where did the
startup script come from?

Re: Eliminating start error message: "unary operator expected"

From
Paul Thomas
Date:
On 23/06/2003 20:16 Carlos wrote:
> Hi Forum,
> What should I correct in order to eliminate the following error message
> on
> start:
> Executing /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start ..
> Starting postgresql service: -sh: [: ==: unary operator expected
> [  OK  ]
>
> We installed a v7.3.2 and PostgreSQL seems to be running very well but we
> want to get rid of this message.
>
> Thanks in advance for your response

You may have a typo in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql.

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: Eliminating start error message: "unary operator

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Date:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Carlos wrote:

> Hi Forum,
> What should I correct in order to eliminate the following error message on
> start:
> Executing /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start ..
> Starting postgresql service: -sh: [: ==: unary operator expected
> [  OK  ]
>
> We installed a v7.3.2 and PostgreSQL seems to be running very well but we
> want to get rid of this message.
>
> Thanks in advance for your response

You should ask your system admin to take a look. That init script should be
pretty straight forward unless your admin has rolled his/her own complicated
thing.

--
Nigel J. Andrews

Re: Eliminating start error message: "unary operator

From
Hubert Lubaczewski
Date:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:16:28 -0400
Carlos <Carlos@pbsinet.com> wrote:

> start:
> Executing /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start ..
> Starting postgresql service: -sh: [: ==: unary operator expected
> [  OK  ]

do:
ls -l /bin/sh

it is supposed to be a symlink pointing fo /bin/bash
if it's not, check if you do have /bin/bash and do:
1. change symlink /bin/sh to point to /bin/bash
or
2. change startup script to use bash instead.

that should help.

depesz