Elog

From
Nailah Ogeer
Date:
Where do the elog information go in postgres7.3.2. I am still getting a
Segmentation fault when trying to run my code after making changes to the
buffer folder and relcache.c. Someone mentioned using a stack before to
trace. Can someone give me some more info on this or other methods of
tracing?
thanks a lot
nailah

Re: Elog

From
Mark Kirkwood

Nailah Ogeer wrote:

>Where do the elog information go in postgres7.3.2.

To whereever you have told the server to log (stdout if you havent
specified)

> I am still getting a
>Segmentation fault when trying to run my code after making changes to the
>buffer folder and relcache.c. Someone mentioned using a stack before to
>trace. Can someone give me some more info on this or other methods of
>tracing?

Use something like strace (Linux) or truss (Solaris) and attach it to
your backend process.
If your crash happens immediately, then run a single process backend and
trace it from  startup.

regards

Mark

Checkpoints

From
Nailah Ogeer
Date:
Hello,
I have written code to support multiple buffer pools in postgres 7.3.2.
Now i am looking at changing the sizes of these buffer pools, but first i
need to write all pages to disk.
I also need to incorporate this code into the backend instead of it being
a sql statement as it is now. I noticed that at a checkpoint, dirty pages
are written to disk. I was just wondering if someone can tell me how
postgres handles checkpoints and if it is advisable to do the sizing right
after a checkpoint?

Nailah
MSc Student

Re: Checkpoints

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
pool of what?

Nailah Ogeer wrote:

> Hello,
> I have written code to support multiple buffer pools in postgres 7.3.2.
> Now i am looking at changing the sizes of these buffer pools, but first i
> need to write all pages to disk.
> I also need to incorporate this code into the backend instead of it being
> a sql statement as it is now. I noticed that at a checkpoint, dirty pages
> are written to disk. I was just wondering if someone can tell me how
> postgres handles checkpoints and if it is advisable to do the sizing right
> after a checkpoint?
>
> Nailah
> MSc Student

Re: Checkpoints

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
I mean, what is getting buffered? What performance effects is it supposed allow?