Hello

From
John
Date:
Hello,

I am seeking some help with installing postgresql 2.7.3 on my
SuSE linux 8.2 system. I am having trouble setting the PGDATA
parameter.

Thank-you,

John Tankersley
johntank@merr.com

Re: Hello (PGDATA question)

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"

On Sun, 18 May 2003, John wrote:

Whoa! Bet you thought this was lost! A full week within the pgsql servers.

> Hello,
>
> I am seeking some help with installing postgresql 2.7.3 on my
> SuSE linux 8.2 system. I am having trouble setting the PGDATA
> parameter.
>
> Thank-you,
>
> John Tankersley
> johntank@merr.com

You should probably upgrade to 7.2.4, at least I think that one is the last 7.2
series. Or, as you're obviously not going to have any existing applications or
data to support why not go for the latest 7.3 series? 7.3.3 should be coming
out very soon.

Rather than worrying about using the PGDATA environment variable you can simply
specify the location of the data store on the command line when you start the
server [and initdb]. For example, initialise the data store with

initdb -D /data/pgsql ...

and similarly in your startup scripts (or just whenever you start/stop the
postmaster by hand)

pg_ctl -D /data/pgsql ...

--
Nigel J. Andrews

Re: Hello

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Sun, 18 May 2003, John wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am seeking some help with installing postgresql 2.7.3 on my
> SuSE linux 8.2 system. I am having trouble setting the PGDATA
> parameter.

As the postgres user, edit the file ~/.bash_profile to have this line in
it:

PGDATA=/where/your/db/lives
export PGDATA

then 'su - postgres' again and do 'echo $PGDATA' to see if it's set.

man bash is the main page for how the bash shell works.  don't worry, it's
not as complex as it looks.  Well, yes it is, but the parts you need to
know to get postgresql working aren't too bad.

Re: Hello

From
"Scrappy"
Date: