Restoring 7.3.x Data on 7.2.x Database

From
"Scott W. Hill"
Date:
I'm having trouble getting my data, which does have embedded newlines, to
go from a 7.3.2 PostgreSQL setup to a 7.2.3. I'm using a service provider's
database, so upgrading on my timeline isn't an option. The embedded
newlines seem to choke the restore process on 7.2.x, although restoring the
same data to another 7.3.2 database is no problem. Help! :)

TIA,

--Scott

Re: Restoring 7.3.x Data on 7.2.x Database

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Wed, 7 May 2003, Scott W. Hill wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting my data, which does have embedded newlines, to
> go from a 7.3.2 PostgreSQL setup to a 7.2.3. I'm using a service provider's
> database, so upgrading on my timeline isn't an option. The embedded
> newlines seem to choke the restore process on 7.2.x, although restoring the
> same data to another 7.3.2 database is no problem. Help! :)

Is this all happening on the same basic platform, or are you running
windows and Unix mixed?  It might be easiest to just use awk or sed to
strip out the newlines.

Re: Restoring 7.3.x Data on 7.2.x Database

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Wed, 7 May 2003, Scott W. Hill wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting my data, which does have embedded newlines, to
> go from a 7.3.2 PostgreSQL setup to a 7.2.3. I'm using a service provider's
> database, so upgrading on my timeline isn't an option. The embedded
> newlines seem to choke the restore process on 7.2.x, although restoring the
> same data to another 7.3.2 database is no problem. Help! :)

How are you doing the dumps?  You might want to try with -d (or -D) to get
insert statements rather than copy.  It's (alot) slower on restore, but it
might handle the restore better.

Re: Restoring 7.3.x Data on 7.2.x Database

From
"Scott W. Hill"
Date:
Thanks! The -D option was just the trick. I wasn't able to use the other
suggestion to use sed to strip the newlines, since the newlines were valid
data in this case.

--Scott