what is wrong with data type 'array' ?

From
"Jack Dull"
Date:
hi, all:    When I tried the example from PostgreSQL guide as follows:CREATE
TABLE sal_emp (
    name            text,
    pay_by_quarter  integer[],
    schedule        text[][]
);   To my surprised, the table created actually isCREATE TABLE sal_emp (
    name            text,
    pay_by_quarter  integer[],
    schedule        text[]
);   I was wondering if PostgreSQL really supports multidimensional array
with more than tow dimensions? jack_dull

Re: what is wrong with data type 'array' ?

Date:
"Jack Dull" <jack_dull@sina.com> writes:
> );   I was wondering if PostgreSQL really supports multidimensional array
> with more than tow dimensions?

It does, but they aren't considered a fundamentally different datatype
from single-dimensional arrays.  Writing extra '[]' pairs in the CREATE
TABLE is just syntactic sugar.

            regards, tom lane