Failed dependencies: perl(Pg) is needed by postgresql-contrib

From
"J. M. Brenner"
Date:
On a Redhat 8.0 box, I was just trying to install
a full set of the 7.3.2 rpms, but I'm having problems
with this one:

   rpm -ihv postgresql-contrib-7.3.2-1PGDG.i386.rpm
   error: Failed dependencies:
       perl(Pg) is needed by postgresql-contrib-7.3.2-1PGDG

What does that mean?  Is "perl(Pg)" supposed to be a file
from a package, or the name of a package?

Now this much I have:

   rpm -qa | egrep perl | egrep Pg
   perl-DBD-Pg-1.13-5

Is it talking about perl itself?  I've got the redhat
package installed:

   perl-5.8.0-55

(As well as another version of perl 5.8.0 I built myself:
/usr/local/bin/perl.)

Re: Failed dependencies: perl(Pg) is needed by postgresql-contrib

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Monday 07 April 2003 22:01, J. M. Brenner wrote:
> On a Redhat 8.0 box, I was just trying to install
> a full set of the 7.3.2 rpms, but I'm having problems
> with this one:

It is safe to use --nodeps with this particular RPM.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Date:
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> wrote:

> On Monday 07 April 2003 22:01, J. M. Brenner wrote:

> > On a Redhat 8.0 box, I was just trying to install
> > a full set of the 7.3.2 rpms, but I'm having problems
> > with this one:
>
> It is safe to use --nodeps with this particular RPM.

Ah, thanks much.  (I'd forgotten about --nodeps.
And --force doesn't force it... gotta love rpm, eh?)