alter table change type column

From
"frank_lupo"
Date:
Is possible to alter table change type of column?

Bye !!
Frank Lupo (Wolf) !!

    /\_ _/\
    \ o o /
--ooo-----ooo---

--
Prendi GRATIS l'email universale che... risparmia: http://www.email.it/f

Sponsor:
Conto Arancio, il migliore amico dei tuoi risparmi.
Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=668&d=24-3

Re: alter table change type column

Date:
No, we have not implemented that.  You can add a column, copy the data
over from the old column, then drop the old column and rename the new
column.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?frank=5Flupo?= wrote:
> Is possible to alter table change type of column?
>

> Bye !!
> Frank Lupo (Wolf) !!
>
>     /\_ _/\
>     \ o o /
> --ooo-----ooo---
>

> --
> Prendi GRATIS l'email universale che... risparmia: http://www.email.it/f
>
> Sponsor:
> Conto Arancio, il migliore amico dei tuoi risparmi.
> Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=668&d=24-3

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: alter table change type column

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
And then redo all the triggers and indexes also?

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> No, we have not implemented that.  You can add a column, copy the data
> over from the old column, then drop the old column and rename the new
> column.

> =?iso-8859-1?Q?frank=5Flupo?= wrote:
>
>>Is possible to alter table change type of column?
>>

>>Bye !!
>>Frank Lupo (Wolf) !!
>>
>>    /\_ _/\
>>    \ o o /
>>--ooo-----ooo---
>>

>>--
>>Prendi GRATIS l'email universale che... risparmia: http://www.email.it/f
>>
>>Sponsor:
>>Conto Arancio, il migliore amico dei tuoi risparmi.
>>Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=668&d=24-3

>>TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?
>>
>>http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: alter table change type column

Date:
Yes, afraid so.

Dennis Gearon wrote:
> And then redo all the triggers and indexes also?
>
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > No, we have not implemented that.  You can add a column, copy the data
> > over from the old column, then drop the old column and rename the new
> > column.

> > =?iso-8859-1?Q?frank=5Flupo?= wrote:
> >
> >>Is possible to alter table change type of column?
> >>

> >>Bye !!
> >>Frank Lupo (Wolf) !!
> >>
> >>    /\_ _/\
> >>    \ o o /
> >>--ooo-----ooo---
> >>

> >>--
> >>Prendi GRATIS l'email universale che... risparmia: http://www.email.it/f
> >>
> >>Sponsor:
> >>Conto Arancio, il migliore amico dei tuoi risparmi.
> >>Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=668&d=24-3
> >>

> >>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> >>TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?
> >>
> >>http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: alter table change type column

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
BTW, do the functions and indexes automatically get dropped if they are
referencing a column that gets dropped?

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Yes, afraid so.

> Dennis Gearon wrote:
>
>>And then redo all the triggers and indexes also?
>>
>>Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>>>No, we have not implemented that.  You can add a column, copy the data
>>>over from the old column, then drop the old column and rename the new
>>>column.

Re: alter table change type column

Date:
Uh, indexes get dropped, I think.  I am not sure about functions --- I
don't think so because we don't always know what columns are referenced
in a function.