doubts about a constraint's definition

From
"enediel"
Hello:
I've the following question:

I need to create a column, where the information is conserved in the same
way that it was written by the user, but the data of this column is unique
if it's only taken to capital

declaring a constraint
... unique(column name) is not enough to me  'cause

'ab'
'AB'
'aB'
will be accepted

Thanks in advance for any help
Enediel
Linux user 300141

Happy who can penetrate the secret causes of the things
¡Use Linux!

Re: doubts about a constraint's definition

From
"enediel"
Date:
thanks Eric for the answer, but the question is how to keep the
information's integrity without convert strings to upper case.

I need to do that transparent to the user

Greetings
Enediel
Linux user 300141

Happy who can penetrate the secret causes of the things
¡Use Linux!
Hello, I think you can 'upcase' the string written by the user before
inserting it into the table.

--

Eric Déchaux

IRCI
87 rue Bizet
94800 Villejuif

Tel Poste    : +33 (0) 1 47 26 71 03
Tel Standard : +33 (0) 1 47 26 37 73
Email : edechaux@irci.fr

Re: doubts about a constraint's definition

From
"Peter Gibbs"
enediel wrote:

> I need to create a column, where the information is conserved in the same
> way that it was written by the user, but the data of this column is unique
> if it's only taken to capital
>
> declaring a constraint
> ... unique(column name) is not enough to me  'cause
>
> 'ab'
> 'AB'
> 'aB'
> will be accepted

Create a unique functional index e.g.
create unique index index_name on table_name (upper(fieldname));
--
Peter Gibbs
EmKel Systems

Re: doubts about a constraint's definition

From
"enediel"
Date:
Thanks  Peter for your attention, it's exactly what I needed
:>)

Date:
"enediel" <enediel@com.ith.tur.cu> writes:
> I need to create a column, where the information is conserved in the same
> way that it was written by the user, but the data of this column is unique
> if it's only taken to capital

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX foo ON tab (UPPER(column));

            regards, tom lane