FIPS 127-2

From
dalgoda@ix.netcom.com (Mike Castle)
Date:
I searched the email archives and didn't find any reference to this, though
I thought for sure that I'd seen something come across the list sometime in
the past.

Has there been any thought about making use of the NIST SQL Test Suite
(http://www.itl.nist.gov/div897/ctg/sql_form.htm) inspired by the FIPS Pub
127-2?  And what about a FIPS flag?

Joe Celko had an interesting post about this a little while back:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=c0d87ec0.0301101643.6fcbec82%40posting.google.com&output=gplain

I would guess that, if nothing else, the test suite would be useful.

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/

Re: FIPS 127-2

Date:
dalgoda@ix.netcom.com (Mike Castle) writes:
> Has there been any thought about making use of the NIST SQL Test Suite

Great Bridge tried to run it a couple years ago, and got stymied by the
fact that the test suite is utterly dependent on schema support; and
also it assumes autocommit-off behavior IIRC.

It would be interesting to try again now that 7.3 has cleared those
first hurdles.  Are you volunteering?

            regards, tom lane

Re: FIPS 127-2

Date:
In article <20647.1048137165@sss.pgh.pa.us>,
Tom Lane  <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>dalgoda@ix.netcom.com (Mike Castle) writes:
>> Has there been any thought about making use of the NIST SQL Test Suite
>
>Great Bridge tried to run it a couple years ago, and got stymied by the
>fact that the test suite is utterly dependent on schema support; and
>also it assumes autocommit-off behavior IIRC.

That is probably what I was remembering.  Could you give me any pointers
on how to find possible emails discussing this attempt in the archives?
I was able to find a single reference via groups.google.com, but couldn't
find anything using the postgresql.org search engine.  Who knows, maybe
it wasn't on a postgresql list after all.

>It would be interesting to try again now that 7.3 has cleared those
>first hurdles.  Are you volunteering?

I agree it would be interesting.

Right now I have too many other things on my plate, but if I get it
cleared off and get a chance to come back to this, and no one else has
beaten me to it, I just might give it a shot.  That's at least 6 months
down the line for me though.

Right now my employer is integrating the tests into our suite for our
own product, which is what made me think of it.

mrc

--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/

Re: FIPS 127-2

From
"Dann Corbit"
> >> Has there been any thought about making use of the NIST SQL Test
> >> Suite
> >
> >Great Bridge tried to run it a couple years ago, and got
> stymied by the
> >fact that the test suite is utterly dependent on schema support; and
> >also it assumes autocommit-off behavior IIRC.
>
> That is probably what I was remembering.  Could you give me
> any pointers on how to find possible emails discussing this
> attempt in the archives? I was able to find a single
> reference via groups.google.com, but couldn't find anything
> using the postgresql.org search engine.  Who knows, maybe it
> wasn't on a postgresql list after all.
>
> >It would be interesting to try again now that 7.3 has cleared those
> >first hurdles.  Are you volunteering?
>
> I agree it would be interesting.
>
> Right now I have too many other things on my plate, but if I
> get it cleared off and get a chance to come back to this, and
> no one else has beaten me to it, I just might give it a shot.
>  That's at least 6 months down the line for me though.
>
> Right now my employer is integrating the tests into our suite
> for our own product, which is what made me think of it.

Here is all the NIST stuff in an archive:
ftp://cap.connx.com/chess-engines/new-approach/nist.ZIP

I once suggested using the NIST tests for ecpg testing.

Re: FIPS 127-2

Date:
dalgoda@ix.netcom.com (Mike Castle) writes:
> Tom Lane  <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Has there been any thought about making use of the NIST SQL Test Suite
>>
>> Great Bridge tried to run it a couple years ago, and got stymied by the
>> fact that the test suite is utterly dependent on schema support; and
>> also it assumes autocommit-off behavior IIRC.

> That is probably what I was remembering.  Could you give me any pointers
> on how to find possible emails discussing this attempt in the archives?

There probably isn't much; I recall internal Great Bridge discussions
but not anything on the community lists.

Fernando Nasser of Red Hat has also looked at this, but I dunno if he's
tried it since 7.3 became available.

            regards, tom lane