access primitives in php

From
Joel Rees
Date:
We need to set up some primitives in php for mysql, then repeat for
postgresql, so that we bury most of the differences in the primitives.
I'm pretty sure I can do this myself, but would like to avoid
re-inventing the entire wheel, if possible.

I know I'm asking for a handout here, but my searching skills seem weak
this week. Anyone know of some good tutorial material on the subject?

(I am not interested in arguments about which is better, by the way. The
requirements of the current project specify that we do both.)

--
Joel Rees <joel@alpsgiken.gr.jp>

Re: access primitives in php

From
Joe Conway
Joel Rees wrote:
> We need to set up some primitives in php for mysql, then repeat for
> postgresql, so that we bury most of the differences in the primitives.
> I'm pretty sure I can do this myself, but would like to avoid
> re-inventing the entire wheel, if possible.

Pear DB
http://pear.php.net/package-info.php?pacid=46

or
Pear MDB
http://pear.php.net/package-info.php?pacid=54

or others found here:
http://pear.php.net/packages.php?catpid=7&catname=Database

HTH,

Joe

Re: access primitives in php

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
If you're doing this via PHP, you might look at

metabase and adodb libraries.

Joel Rees wrote:

> We need to set up some primitives in php for mysql, then repeat for
> postgresql, so that we bury most of the differences in the primitives.
> I'm pretty sure I can do this myself, but would like to avoid
> re-inventing the entire wheel, if possible.
>
> I know I'm asking for a handout here, but my searching skills seem weak
> this week. Anyone know of some good tutorial material on the subject?
>
> (I am not interested in arguments about which is better, by the way. The
> requirements of the current project specify that we do both.)
>
> --
> Joel Rees <joel@alpsgiken.gr.jp>

Re: access primitives in php

From
Joel Rees
Date:
Joe Conway replied:
> Pear DB
> http://pear.php.net/package-info.php?pacid=46
>
> or
> Pear MDB
> http://pear.php.net/package-info.php?pacid=54
>
> or others found here:
> http://pear.php.net/packages.php?catpid=7&catname=Database
>
> HTH,

Thanks, Joe. You too, Dennis. I think this will move us way ahead of
where I was headed.

--
Joel Rees <joel@alpsgiken.gr.jp>