I want to store a lot of binary data (but not so big) as large objects in a
PostgreSQl database.
Since the large objects are referenced by an identifier of type oid, which is of
type unsigned int (right?), my question is, if the number of large objects that
can be stored in the database is limited by the range of the oid?

u15074 <u15074@hs-harz.de> writes:

> I want to store a lot of binary data (but not so big) as large
> objects in a PostgreSQl database.  Since the large objects are
> referenced by an identifier of type oid, which is of type unsigned
> int (right?), my question is, if the number of large objects that
> can be stored in the database is limited by the range of the oid?

Well, yes.  But that's more than 4 billion objects--you're much more
likely to run out of disk space before you run out of OIDs.

-Doug