Not Enough Connections

From
Hunter Hillegas
Date:
We just upgraded from 7.2.2 to 7.3.2. Since the upgrade I am having trouble
getting clients connected to the server. Basically I am running out of
connections.

The postmaster was originally started with the default settings. Since then
the limit has been upped to 200 connections (along with some other stuff
like shared mem stuff) and I did a pg_ctl reload to get the new settings in
there...

Still getting the FATAL error about connections. Running ps shows about 36
processes related to postgres, certainly not near 200 connections.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hunter

Re: Not Enough Connections

Date:
Hunter Hillegas <lists@lastonepicked.com> writes:
> The postmaster was originally started with the default settings. Since then
> the limit has been upped to 200 connections (along with some other stuff
> like shared mem stuff) and I did a pg_ctl reload to get the new settings in
> there...

pg_ctl reload does not suffice to alter max_connections; that can only
be set at postmaster startup.  Shut down and restart.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Not Enough Connections

From
Lonni J Friedman
Date:
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hunter Hillegas <lists@lastonepicked.com> writes:
> > The postmaster was originally started with the default settings. Since then
> > the limit has been upped to 200 connections (along with some other stuff
> > like shared mem stuff) and I did a pg_ctl reload to get the new settings in
> > there...
>
> pg_ctl reload does not suffice to alter max_connections; that can only
> be set at postmaster startup.  Shut down and restart.

I read somewhere a while ago that the upper value of max_connections is
hardcoded at compile time, and that it can only be reduced via the
configuration file.  Is this true, or did i misunderstand?

Re: Not Enough Connections

Date:
Lonni J Friedman <lfriedman@vasoftware.com> writes:
> I read somewhere a while ago that the upper value of max_connections is
> hardcoded at compile time, and that it can only be reduced via the
> configuration file.  Is this true, or did i misunderstand?

You misunderstood.

There once was a compile-time upper limit on max_connections, but that
vanished quite some time ago; and even back then it was substantially
larger than most people used.

            regards, tom lane