Successful regression testing???

From
P G
Date:
Has anyone gotten Postgresql 7.3.2 to pass the
supplied regression tests after the make?  I am using
Redhat 7.3 and have not been able to get anywhere
close to passing most of the regression tests.  The
last time I built PostgreSQL from scratch was version
7.0.2 or something and I recall only one test failing.
 Is there something else I should do?  Here is the
procedure I have used.

TIA.

===================================

[user]$ su -
[root]# ./configure --prefix=/some/dir
--bindir=/some/dir --datadir=/some/dir
--sysconfigdir=/some/dir --libdir=/some/dir
--includedir=/some/dir --docdir=/some/dir
--mandir=/some/dir --with-pgport=6543 --disable-rpath
--with-perl --without-tk --with-openssl --with-pam
--enable-nls
[root]# make
All of PostgreSQL is successfully made. Ready to
install.
[root]# cd .. ; chown -R user.user postgresql-7.3.2/ ;
exit
[user]$ make check

 47 of 89 tests failed, 1 of these failures ignored.

The differences that caused some tests to fail can be
viewed in the
file `./regression.diffs'.  A copy of the test summary
that you see
above is saved in the file `./regression.out'.

make[2]: *** [check] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/user/db/postgresql-7.3.2/src/test/regress'make[1]:
*** [check]
Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/user/db/postgresql-7.3.2/src/test'
make: *** [check] Error 2
[user]$

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Re: Successful regression testing???

Date:
P G <pg_dba@yahoo.com> writes:
> Has anyone gotten Postgresql 7.3.2 to pass the
> supplied regression tests after the make?

No, we never run the regression tests at all ;-)

>  47 of 89 tests failed, 1 of these failures ignored.

You have a major problem.  There's not nearly enough info here to guess
what it is, though.  Have you looked at the actual differences?  The
Admin Guide has some advice on interpreting what you see:
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/regress-evaluation.html
although with such a large number of test failures, I don't think you
are dealing with any of the specific issues mentioned there.

            regards, tom lane