versioning and transactions

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
Is versioning the way the other transaction DB's do it, like DB2, Oracle, Transact, SQLServer?

Is there a good explanation of this on the postgres site?

Re: versioning and transactions

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Dennis Gearon wrote:

> Is versioning the way the other transaction DB's do it, like DB2,
> Oracle, Transact, SQLServer?
>
> Is there a good explanation of this on the postgres site?

I'm not sure which question you're asking here.

Postgresql and Oracle both use a system called MVCC, (multi-version
concurrency control).  Docs on pgsql's implementation can be found here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=0&file=mvcc.html

Or do you mean transactions?

Or do you mean things like multi-valued databases?