pgtcl way of specifying a user

From
Patrick Nelson
Date:
I have cron and init scripts that call my PostgreSQL db for their data.
This worked fine until I moved the sql server off the system.  Then I had to
specify the actual host and user in the case of pg_dumpall called from a tcl
script.  Cron wasn't grabbing the proper variables of PGHOST PGUSER I guess.
No problem, just added them to the command of pg_dumpall and the script
works fine

I have another script that uses libpgtcl and this script runs as part of
init level 3 or level 5.  It also don't connect to the database by utilizing
any variables in a .bash_profile config file.  I can not figure out how to
make the connection.  I used:

  pg_connect $PGDBName -host $PGHostName

and this works, but I don't know what user it will use as part of init and I
can not figure out how to define a user.  Can anyone shad some light on my
problems.  IWAI

Re: pgtcl way of specifying a user

From
Nicolas Boretos
Date:
Patrick Nelson wrote:
> I have cron and init scripts that call my PostgreSQL db for their data.
> This worked fine until I moved the sql server off the system.  Then I had to
> specify the actual host and user in the case of pg_dumpall called from a tcl
> script.  Cron wasn't grabbing the proper variables of PGHOST PGUSER I guess.
> No problem, just added them to the command of pg_dumpall and the script
> works fine
>
> I have another script that uses libpgtcl and this script runs as part of
> init level 3 or level 5.  It also don't connect to the database by utilizing
> any variables in a .bash_profile config file.  I can not figure out how to
> make the connection.  I used:
>
>   pg_connect $PGDBName -host $PGHostName

Try pg_connect $PGDBName -host $PGHostName -username Bob -password Secret

regards,

nicolas boretos

Date:
Nicolas Boretos wrote:
----------------->>>>
Try pg_connect $PGDBName -host $PGHostName -username Bob -password Secret
----------------->>>>

-username and -password are not options of pg_connect and result in an
error.  That's the problem there seems to be no way of specifying a specific
user.

Re: pgtcl way of specifying a user

Date:
Patrick Nelson <pnelson@neatech.com> writes:
> -username and -password are not options of pg_connect and result in an
> error.  That's the problem there seems to be no way of specifying a specific
> user.

Use the pg_connect -conninfo style, -conninfo "user=foo dbname=bar ..."
The other syntax is obsolete and not really being supported.

            regards, tom lane