How many joins is too many joins....

From
"codeWarrior"
Date:
Anyone have a number for how many joined tables postgreSQL can handle in any
given query ? I thought I saw the number 64 somewhere in the docs...

Re: How many joins is too many joins....

Date:
"codeWarrior" <GPatnude@adelphia.net> writes:
> Anyone have a number for how many joined tables postgreSQL can handle in any
> given query ? I thought I saw the number 64 somewhere in the docs...

There's no hardwired limit.  Whether you'll get a decent plan is another
question ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: How many joins is too many joins....

From
Francisco J Reyes
Date:
On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> "codeWarrior" <GPatnude@adelphia.net> writes:
> > Anyone have a number for how many joined tables postgreSQL can handle in any
> > given query ? I thought I saw the number 64 somewhere in the docs...
>
> There's no hardwired limit.  Whether you'll get a decent plan is another
> question ...
>             regards, tom lane

At which point do you think it would be usefull to start breaking a query?
If for no other reason the complexity of looking at the explain output
gets daunting afer 5 tables are invoved... at least it is for me.