Pg_dumpall problem

From
James Hall
Date:
Hello,

I am trying to use pg_dumpall to backup my databases, and it is failing.
The results of a attempted dumpall are below:

[postgres@rspde postgres]$ pg_dumpall > 020503.out
Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
Password: Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
[...]
Password: Connection to database '' failed.
fe_sendauth: no password supplied

pg_dump failed on , exiting

The version of Postgresql is 7.1 and all tables have owner postgres. The
password I supply is correct.

If anyone can shed any light on this problem, it would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA,
-jim

Re: Pg_dumpall problem

Date:
James Hall <James.Hall@RadioShack.com> writes:
> I am trying to use pg_dumpall to backup my databases, and it is failing.
> The results of a attempted dumpall are below:

> [postgres@rspde postgres]$ pg_dumpall > 020503.out
> Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
> Password: Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
> Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
> Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied

pg_dumpall is more or less useless for databases that use password
protection.  I counsel setting up a different authorization method for
local connections.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Pg_dumpall problem

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
I thought ALL databases used passwords!

2/6/2003 6:52:25 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>James Hall <James.Hall@RadioShack.com> writes:
>> I am trying to use pg_dumpall to backup my databases, and it is failing.
>> The results of a attempted dumpall are below:
>
>> [postgres@rspde postgres]$ pg_dumpall > 020503.out
>> Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
>> Password: Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'postgres'
>> Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
>> Password: psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
>
>pg_dumpall is more or less useless for databases that use password
>protection.  I counsel setting up a different authorization method for
>local connections.
>
>            regards, tom lane

>http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Pg_dumpall problem

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 08:35:50 -0800,
  Dennis Gearon <gearond@cvc.net> wrote:
> I thought ALL databases used passwords!

There are several authentication methods allowed. Using ident for local
(domain socket) connections is good if accounts aren't shared (and
getpeerid is supported by the OS).

Re: Pg_dumpall problem

From
James Hall
Date:
Thank you very much for your reply.

Do you have suggestions for setting up a different authorization method for
local connections?

TIA,
-jim