DBD::Pg & DBD::PgPP Cpan question

From
"Williams, Travis L, NPONS"
Date:
All,
    I have noticed that they have replaced DBD::Pg with DBD::PgPP in cpan.  Also if you use windows PPM that you can't
getDBD::Pg that way.. only DBD::PgPP.. I understand the difference between the two modules.. but is it really a
replacement..or 2 different modules.. in my mind its two different modules.. and they should both be listed.  Has
DBD::PgPPbeen tested?

Travis

Re: DBD::Pg & DBD::PgPP Cpan question

From
Ian Barwick
Date:
On Wednesday 22 January 2003 00:11, Williams, Travis L, NPONS wrote:
> All,
>     I have noticed that they have replaced DBD::Pg with DBD::PgPP in cpan.

"They" haven't been doing anything of the sort, I hope ;-).

http://cpan.org/modules/by-module/DBD/

has the latest DBD::Pg version ...

> Also if you use windows PPM that you can't get DBD::Pg that way.. only
> DBD::PgPP.. I understand the difference between the two modules.. but is it
> really a replacement.. or 2 different modules.. in my mind its two
> different modules.. and they should both be listed.  Has DBD::PgPP been
> tested?

They are very different modules. I have no idea about DBD::PgPP though.

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net

Re: DBD::Pg & DBD::PgPP Cpan question

From
"Williams, Travis L, NPONS"
Date:
I understand they are different.. and I know how to manually find them.. but they took DBD::Pg out of the main list..
andif you use ppm on a activestate box it also does not give you the choice to load DBD::Pg anymore... only DBD::PgPP.
TheDBD::PgPP doesn't need the pgsql libraries installed to use it.. I've testing it on a windows box and am getting
readyto test it on a hpux box.  If it works then it is much simpler to install on a hpux box cause you don't need the
libraries.

Travis

Date:
On Wednesday 22 January 2003 17:49, Williams, Travis L, NPONS wrote:
> I understand they are different.. and I know how to manually find them..
> but they took DBD::Pg out of the main list..

Which "they" and which "main list" do you mean exactly?

Actually I would recommend asking the dbi-users list,

http://lists.perl.org/showlist.cgi?name=dbi-users

there are people there who know more about Windows Perl
issuses than I do...

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net

Re: DBD::Pg & DBD::PgPP Cpan question

From
"Williams, Travis L, NPONS"
Date:
They would be whoever maintains the cpan web site.. the main list is the module list.

Travis

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 17:49, Williams, Travis L, NPONS wrote:
> I understand they are different.. and I know how to manually find them..
> but they took DBD::Pg out of the main list..

Which "they" and which "main list" do you mean exactly?

Actually I would recommend asking the dbi-users list,

http://lists.perl.org/showlist.cgi?name=dbi-users

there are people there who know more about Windows Perl
issuses than I do...

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net

Re: DBD::Pg & DBD::PgPP Cpan question

From
"codeWarrior"
DBD::PgPP is a "Pure Perl" driver -- Which I believe the author means there
are no compiled C libraries in his implementation .. I dont think that using
PgPP because it has a ppd file is a good excuse for using it...

DBD::Pg is the DBD:Pg that we all know and love...

"Ian Barwick" <barwick@gmx.net> wrote in message
> On Wednesday 22 January 2003 00:11, Williams, Travis L, NPONS wrote:
> > All,
> > I have noticed that they have replaced DBD::Pg with DBD::PgPP in cpan.
>
> "They" haven't been doing anything of the sort, I hope ;-).
>
> http://cpan.org/modules/by-module/DBD/
>
> has the latest DBD::Pg version ...
>
> > Also if you use windows PPM that you can't get DBD::Pg that way.. only
> > DBD::PgPP.. I understand the difference between the two modules.. but is
it
> > really a replacement.. or 2 different modules.. in my mind its two
> > different modules.. and they should both be listed.  Has DBD::PgPP been
> > tested?
>
> They are very different modules. I have no idea about DBD::PgPP though.
>
> Ian Barwick
> barwick@gmx.net

Re: DBD::Pg & DBD::PgPP Cpan question

From
Vivek Khera
Date:

TLW> They would be whoever maintains the cpan web site.. the main list
TLW> is the module list.

Dunno what you're seeing, but the database as of Jan 28 on CPAN has
both:

cpan> m DBD::Pg
Module id = DBD::Pg
    CPAN_USERID  DWHEELER (David Wheeler <david@wheeler.net>)
    CPAN_VERSION 1.21
    CPAN_FILE    D/DW/DWHEELER/DBD-Pg-1.21.tar.gz
    INST_FILE    (not installed)

cpan> m DBD::PgPP
Module id = DBD::PgPP
    DESCRIPTION  Pure Perl PostgreSQL driver for the DBI
    CPAN_USERID  OYAMA (OYAMA Hiroyuki <hoyama@infoware.ne.jp>)
    CPAN_VERSION 0.04
    CPAN_FILE    O/OY/OYAMA/DBD-PgPP-0.04.tar.gz
    DSLI_STATUS  bdpO (beta,developer,perl,object-oriented)
    INST_FILE    (not installed)

It's in the CPAN index, so it should be on the CPAN site. If not, it
is a web site bug.