When to vacuum

From
Medi Montaseri
Date:
I was wondering if I can use any of the pg_stat* related tables to
determine if I
need to vacuum or not.

More specifically, instead of assuming a period (based on one's usage),
if I was
to vacuum more adaptively, I could have a cron job to check certain
statistics table
every 10 minutes (or hour) and if a threashold is reached a vauum be
performed.

If this is possible, please specifiy the condition for vacuum and vacuum
full please.

Thanks

Re: When to vacuum

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:43:12PM -0800, Medi Montaseri wrote:
> I was wondering if I can use any of the pg_stat* related tables to
> determine if I
> need to vacuum or not.

I gather there is a project on gborg for auto-vacuuming.  As a first
whack at it, though, I find contrib/pgstattuple to be handy.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: When to vacuum

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 20 Jan 2003 at 17:30, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:43:12PM -0800, Medi Montaseri wrote:
> > I was wondering if I can use any of the pg_stat* related tables to
> > determine if I
> > need to vacuum or not.
>
> I gather there is a project on gborg for auto-vacuuming.  As a first
> whack at it, though, I find contrib/pgstattuple to be handy.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgavd/projdisplay.php

Bye
 Shridhar

--
IBM's original motto:    Cogito ergo vendo; vendo ergo sum.