ERROR: No one parent tuple was found

From
Renê Salomão
Date:
Hi list,

After run "VACCUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE" the following message appears:
"ERROR:  No one parent tuple was found"...
What can be causing this problem?

Running a Pg 7.2.3 on Mandrake 8.1

Thanks.
-----------------------------
Renê Salomão
Ibiz Tecnologia -- www.ibiz.com.br

Re: ERROR: No one parent tuple was found

Date:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ren=EA_Salom=E3o?= <rene@ibiz.com.br> writes:
> After run "VACCUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE" the following message appears:
> "ERROR:  No one parent tuple was found"...
> What can be causing this problem?
> Running a Pg 7.2.3 on Mandrake 8.1

This is a known problem which is fixed in 7.3.  I believe in 7.2 you can
make the error go away by doing "SELECT * FROM table FOR UPDATE" --- but
it might come back again.  (VACUUM gets confused by some scenarios
involving aborted SELECT FOR UPDATE commands; see the pghackers archives
from last August or so for details.)

IIRC, Red Hat has back-patched the 7.3 fix into their latest 7.2.3-based
release, but it was never back-patched in community sources.

            regards, tom lane

Re: ERROR: No one parent tuple was found

Date:
Uh, I know we fixed this in 7.3, but I don't remember the cause in 7.2.X.

Ren� Salom�o wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> After run "VACCUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE" the following message appears:
> "ERROR:  No one parent tuple was found"...
> What can be causing this problem?
>
> Running a Pg 7.2.3 on Mandrake 8.1
>
> Thanks.
> -----------------------------
> Ren? Salom?o
> Ibiz Tecnologia -- www.ibiz.com.br

Re: ERROR: No one parent tuple was found

From
Vivek Khera
Date:

BM> Uh, I know we fixed this in 7.3, but I don't remember the cause in 7.2.X.

BM> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

BM> Renê Salomão wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> After run "VACCUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE" the following message appears:
>> "ERROR:  No one parent tuple was found"...
>> What can be causing this problem?

When I asked this question a few months ago, I got an answer from Tom
Lane.  Basically, some transaction wasn't properly closed.  My
solution was dump/restore.  I think he proposed some other possible
fix, but I didn't bother with it.

As soon as RT gets up to snuff with 7.3, I'm moving up again... but
that dump/restore sure takes a looong time with 100+ million
records. ;-(

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/