problems configuring with readline and zlib

From
mike

Hello,

I have been getting trouble when compiling postgres in Red Hat 8.0 and
Mandrake 9.0.
The configure command gives a mistake with readline and zlib.
I have used the option:

configure --with-lib=/usr/lib:lib lib-dir=/usr/lib:/lib

but it doesnt' work.

I have the libreadline libraries.
/usr/lib/libreadline.so.4
/usr/lib/libreadline.so.4.3

Does anyone know how to solve this?

I have been reading the mailing list archives but the solutions I have found
don't solve my problem. They say to include the path of the libraries dir.
I have also installed again the libraries.

Thanks in advance.
Mike-af

Re: problems configuring with readline and zlib

Date:
mike <mike@afectatsopeninglleida.org> writes:
> The configure command gives a mistake with readline and zlib.
> I have used the option:
> configure --with-lib=/usr/lib:lib lib-dir=/usr/lib:/lib
> but it doesnt' work.

Define "doesn't work".  When you're asking for help with a problem, it's
always important to give the exact error message you are getting.

> I have the libreadline libraries.
> /usr/lib/libreadline.so.4
> /usr/lib/libreadline.so.4.3

Do you have the readline header files?  (If you're using RPMs, you
need the readline-devel RPM as well as readline itself.)

On some platforms libreadline depends on libcurses --- but without
seeing the error message it's impossible to guess if that applies
to you.

            regards, tom lane