reference to system table

From
Anton
Date:
Hello everybody!

Is there a way to create reference to any system relation?

For example I'd like to create relation which extends pg_shadow with
some attributes such as reference to relation of physical person,
information about worker etcetera.

Thanks in advance
--
  Anton

ps My stupid tries:

If I've tried to create reference to pg_shadow(usesysid) pgsql raised
an error.

Then I've tried to inherit pg_shadow but due to inheritance
restriction usesysid and usename become not unique. And if I insert a
tuple into new relation user shouldn't appear in the db.

Re: reference to system table

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Anton wrote:

> Is there a way to create reference to any system relation?

Not really in general.  System tables aren't guaranteed to go
through the same steps for updating as user tables.

Re: reference to system table

Date:
Stephan Szabo wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Anton wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to create reference to any system relation?
>
> Not really in general.  System tables aren't guaranteed to go
> through the same steps for updating as user tables.

Right.  The best you can do is to create a table that has the extra
column and a userid column, then create a join that shows the join of
pg_shadow and your new table.