Running PostgreSQL on Windows

From
"karthikeyan.balasubramanian"
Date:
Hi All,

  I am new to this list.  I started to like PostgreSQL not by working on it
but hearing a lot about good about it.

  I want to work with PostgreSQL on Win98 (that's my development
environment).  I know that through Cygwin its possible
but I don't that.  I want my Windows PHP program to work comfortably with
PostgreSQL much like it worked with Mysql.

  It is so easy to setup MySQL, just download it and install the ODBC
program and type mysql from the command prompt in the mysql directory.  Why
is PostgreSQL not like this but need unix like environment to make it run.

  Please suggest some other technique.  I don't mind compiling source file
using VC++.  I got VC++ 6.0.

  Have a great day.

Karthikeyan B

Re: Running PostgreSQL on Windows

From
Christoph Dalitz
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 21:01:07 +0530
From: "karthikeyan.balasubramanian" <karthikeyan.balasubramanian@aspiresys.com>

>  I want to work with PostgreSQL on Win98 (that's my development
> environment).  I know that through Cygwin its possible
> but I don't that.  I want my Windows PHP program to work comfortably with
> PostgreSQL much like it worked with Mysql.
> Why is PostgreSQL not like this but need unix like environment to make it run.

Note that the Cygwin environment is only necessary to run the PostgreSQL *server*
on Win32.

On the client side there are (at least) two native Win32 options:
 - use the Win32 ODBC driver (available as binary from the PG main sites);
   if you are already accessing MySQL via ODBC that would allow a seamless
   transition
 - compile the Postgres client library libpq from the sources with VisualC++
   and use libpq for accessing Postgres.
   AFAIK there is currently no binary distribution of libpq.dll available
   and other compilers than VisualC++ are not supported (not even Borland
   or MingW32).

As to the server, I believe there is a native Win32 planned for version 7.4.
But that is usually not such an issue, because the database server has nothing
to do with the client devellopment platform.

>  It is so easy to setup MySQL, just download it and install the ODBC
> program and type mysql from the command prompt in the mysql directory.

Actually PostgreSQL is much more powerful than MySQL. This has the drawback
that it requires more administrative knowledge and some configuration effort.

Hope this helps,

Christoph Dalitz

Re: Running PostgreSQL on Windows

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 10:31, karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:

>   I want to work with PostgreSQL on Win98 (that's my development
> environment).  I know that through Cygwin its possible
> but I don't that.  I want my Windows PHP program to work comfortably with
> PostgreSQL much like it worked with Mysql.

http://www3.us.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html#1.4
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/Windows

Robert Treat

Re: Running PostgreSQL on Windows

From
"Andy Kriger"
Date:
You can run PSQL as a WinNT service using Cygwin so that once you set it up
you never need touch Cygwin again. Install Cygwin and look in
$CYGWIN_HOME/usr/doc/Cygwin/<postgres.readme>. There are complete
instructions on setting this up. Definitely make sure you have the latest
version of the necessary Cygwin libraries before starting (see that readme
for details).

  I am new to this list.  I started to like PostgreSQL not by working on it
but hearing a lot about good about it.

  I want to work with PostgreSQL on Win98 (that's my development
environment).  I know that through Cygwin its possible
but I don't that.  I want my Windows PHP program to work comfortably with
PostgreSQL much like it worked with Mysql.

  It is so easy to setup MySQL, just download it and install the ODBC
program and type mysql from the command prompt in the mysql directory.  Why
is PostgreSQL not like this but need unix like environment to make it run.

  Please suggest some other technique.  I don't mind compiling source file
using VC++.  I got VC++ 6.0.

  Have a great day.

Karthikeyan B

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Running PostgreSQL on Windows

Date:
Christoph Dalitz wrote:
> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 21:01:07 +0530
> From: "karthikeyan.balasubramanian" <karthikeyan.balasubramanian@aspiresys.com>
> >
> >  I want to work with PostgreSQL on Win98 (that's my development
> > environment).  I know that through Cygwin its possible
> > but I don't that.  I want my Windows PHP program to work comfortably with
> > PostgreSQL much like it worked with Mysql.
> > Why is PostgreSQL not like this but need unix like environment to make it run.
> >
> Note that the Cygwin environment is only necessary to run the PostgreSQL *server*
> on Win32.
>
> On the client side there are (at least) two native Win32 options:
>  - use the Win32 ODBC driver (available as binary from the PG main sites);
>    if you are already accessing MySQL via ODBC that would allow a seamless
>    transition
>  - compile the Postgres client library libpq from the sources with VisualC++
>    and use libpq for accessing Postgres.
>    AFAIK there is currently no binary distribution of libpq.dll available
>    and other compilers than VisualC++ are not supported (not even Borland
>    or MingW32).

7.4 will support the Borland compiler, version 5.5.

> As to the server, I believe there is a native Win32 planned for version 7.4.
> But that is usually not such an issue, because the database server has nothing
> to do with the client devellopment platform.

Yes, we are working on that for 7.4.  I was just asking Jan about that
status of that today.