Where are my tables physically in the fs?

From
Egyud Csaba
Date:

From: <pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org>
To: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 6:51 PM
Subject: [pgsql-general] Daily Digest V1 #2863

> [...]
> > Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> writes:
> > > Is this a known bug? I created a database (test) and two schemas (s1
and
> > > s2) each of which have one table (s1.test and s2.test) but when I use
\dD
> > > I see no schemas listed:
> >
> > \dD is for domains, not schemas.  There isn't a \d command for schemas
> > in 7.3.
> >
> > regards, tom lane

> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:35:32 -0700
> From: "Ken Godee" <ken@perfect-image.com>
> To: rstpierre@syscor.com, pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: Copy/foreign key contraints
>
> Ron,
> The file I'm COPYing is straight ascii data, and just delimited
> no sql statements, I'm adding data to an existing table.
>
> ie.
> ------file-----------
> 25467^John Doe^480-555-1212^^12/13/2002
> ---------------------
>
> "COPY transx from '/tmp/transx.dat' delimiters '^' with null as '';
>
> I had thought this was pretty straight forward, I don't
> have a very complex set up and thought I was just missing
> something (and probally am) or this was a common problem.
> Another poster suggested forwarding alittle more info and
> schema to list, which I'll post a little later.
>

> > OOPS, correction as:
> > Also, if names are NOT double quoted "custID" any reference to them get
> > converted to lower case, so you're references must be case-correct too.
> > eg CONSTRAINT "mycon" FOREIGN KEY ("custID") REFERENCES .....
> >

> > Ron St.Pierre wrote:
> >
> > > Check your ascii file and make sure that the column or constraint
> > > names are not quoted. If so, check for spaces at the end of names
> > > eg  CONSTRAINT 'mycon' FOREIGN KEY ('custid ') REFERENCES ...... <-
> > > note the space inside quotes after custid
> > >
> > > Also, if names are double quoted "custID" any reference to them get
> > > converted to lower case, so you're references must be case-correct
too.
> > > eg CONSTRAINT "mycon" FOREIGN KEY ("custID") REFERENCES .....

> > --
> > Ron St.Pierre
> > Syscor R&D
> > tel: 250-361-1681
> > email: rstpierre@syscor.com
> >

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: 13 Dec 2002 23:53:21 +0100
> From: Moritz Sinn <moritz@freesources.org>
> To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: getting datatype of array elements
>

> hi,
>
> with the following statement, i get the datatype of a column with help of
> its name and the tableoid:
>
> SELECT typname FROM pg_attribute LEFT JOIN pg_type ON atttypid=typelem
> WHERE attrelid=18210 AND attname='email';
>
> but if the columns datatyp is an array, that doesn't work.
> i'd like to get the basic datatype (the datatype of the array elements)
then.

> any ideas?
>
> thanks,
>  moritz
>
> --
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:49:59 -0800
> From: Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>
> To: Moritz Sinn <moritz@freesources.org>
> Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: getting datatype of array elements
>
> Moritz Sinn wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > with the following statement, i get the datatype of a column with help
of
> > its name and the tableoid:
> >
> > SELECT typname FROM pg_attribute LEFT JOIN pg_type ON atttypid=typelem
> > WHERE attrelid=18210 AND attname='email';
> >
> > but if the columns datatyp is an array, that doesn't work.
> > i'd like to get the basic datatype (the datatype of the array elements)
then.

> See typelem:

http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/catalog-pg-type.
html

> HTH,
>
> Joe
>

> ------------------------------
>
> End of [pgsql-general] Daily Digest V1 #2863

Re: Where are my tables physically in the fs?

From
Lincoln Yeoh
Date:
The tables are in $PGDATA/base.

For an easy way to find out what the numbers mean check out
contrib/oid2name in the postgresql source distribution.

I personally can't remember the manual way, but it involves doing selects
on the system tables. You might be able to figure out what SQL to use by
either checking oid2name or running psql -E and then using the \d commands.

Link.

At 09:38 AM 12/14/02 -0800, Egyud Csaba wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I konow, it is a lamer question, but the doc doesn't inculde any details
>reguarding the physical storage of db. It is not seriously important for me
>just I would like to know.
>I use pg7.2.3 on Red Hat 7.1. The provious verson I used was 7.0.3, and it
>was easy to find my tables in the fs. The file names told me something -
>nearly everything. But now what I can find are only nubers and numbers under
>my $PGDATA/base directory.
>
>Once more it isn't too important. If somebody has some time please send me a
>url where I can find some more info.
>
>Thanks, and best reguards

Re: Where are my tables physically in the fs?

From
Egyud Csaba
Date:
Dear Link,
I'll check it. As I can see from your ansver the file/dir names are the
OIDs.
Thank you very much.

Csaba

> For an easy way to find out what the numbers mean check out
> contrib/oid2name in the postgresql source distribution.
>
> I personally can't remember the manual way, but it involves doing selects
> on the system tables. You might be able to figure out what SQL to use by
> either checking oid2name or running psql -E and then using the \d
commands.

> Link.
>
> At 09:38 AM 12/14/02 -0800, Egyud Csaba wrote:
>
> >Hi!
> >
> >I konow, it is a lamer question, but the doc doesn't inculde any details
> >reguarding the physical storage of db. It is not seriously important for
me
> >just I would like to know.
> >I use pg7.2.3 on Red Hat 7.1. The provious verson I used was 7.0.3, and
it
> >was easy to find my tables in the fs. The file names told me something -
> >nearly everything. But now what I can find are only nubers and numbers
under
> >my $PGDATA/base directory.
> >
> >Once more it isn't too important. If somebody has some time please send
me a
> >url where I can find some more info.
> >
> >Thanks, and best reguards

---

Re: Where are my tables physically in the fs?

From
Medi Montaseri
Date:
 select relname, relfilenode from pg_class where relname = 'pg_language';

Lincoln Yeoh wrote:

> The tables are in $PGDATA/base.
>
> For an easy way to find out what the numbers mean check out
> contrib/oid2name in the postgresql source distribution.
>
> I personally can't remember the manual way, but it involves doing
> selects on the system tables. You might be able to figure out what SQL
> to use by either checking oid2name or running psql -E and then using
> the \d commands.
>
> Link.
>
> At 09:38 AM 12/14/02 -0800, Egyud Csaba wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I konow, it is a lamer question, but the doc doesn't inculde any details
>> reguarding the physical storage of db. It is not seriously important
>> for me
>> just I would like to know.
>> I use pg7.2.3 on Red Hat 7.1. The provious verson I used was 7.0.3,
>> and it
>> was easy to find my tables in the fs. The file names told me something -
>> nearly everything. But now what I can find are only nubers and
>> numbers under
>> my $PGDATA/base directory.
>>
>> Once more it isn't too important. If somebody has some time please
>> send me a
>> url where I can find some more info.
>>
>> Thanks, and best reguards

Re: Where are my tables physically in the fs?

From
Medi Montaseri
Date:
This reminds me of 'use English' in Perl language...
Perhaps someone could write a program that creates
$PGDATA/Base (note B is in uppercase)
which contains
$PGDATA/Base/student_table --> ../base/12563

And so on and so forth...ie bunch of sym links