installing with readline

From
"Johnson, Shaunn"

Howdy:

Installing PostgreSQL 7.3 on RedHat Linux 7.2.

I'm trying to do an install with readline, but, I keep getting
an error when I run the configure step.

[ snip from config.log ]
configure:5883: result: no
configure:5890: error: readline library not found
If you have readline already installed, see config.log for details on the
failure.  It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper directory.
Use --without-readline to disable readline support.

[ /snip ]

I thought I had it, but, decided to upgrade the readline
RPM just the same.

[snip rpm info]

[root@hmp2 postgresql-7.3]# rpm -qa readline
readline-4.3-3

[root@hmp2 postgresql-7.3]# rpm -qa readline-devel
readline-devel-4.3-3

[/snip rpm info]

--Then, I figured that I'd put in the path to where readline
--was (first it was just the library then I put in the include path)

[snip from config.log ]
$ ./configure --prefix=/raid/pgsql --enable-multibyte --with-libraries=/usr/lib
--with-includes=/usr/include/readline --with-perl --enable-odbc
--with-openssl=/usr/bin --with-pam --enable-syslog

[/snip from log]

I'm trying to do a 'make clean' and start over, but, I am seeing a
message saying that I have to run './configure' first.

Any suggestions on how to add this?

Thanks!

-X

Re: installing with readline

From
"Johnson, Shaunn"

--Thanks for the reply!

--Is this the same thing for zlib?  I'm getting an error about
--that as well.  (after I've install ncurses-devel).  I have
--zlib-1.1.3-24  installed ...

--Is there a check list of things I *should* have installed
--when trying to configure with 'readline'?  I may be missing
--a lot of things that could be inter-dependant.

--Thanks!

-X

> Installing PostgreSQL 7.3 on RedHat Linux 7.2.
>
> I'm trying to do an install with readline, but, I keep getting
> an error when I run the configure step.

In some Linux distributions you have to install the termcap-devel
package also, and maybe ncurses-devel.  I don't know if that's the case
for RH7.2.

Re: installing with readline

Date:
"Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6@bcbsm.com> writes:
> I'm trying to do a 'make clean' and start over, but, I am seeing a
> message saying that I have to run './configure' first.

If configure failed then there is nothing to 'make clean' ... just redo
configure.

            regards, tom lane

Re: installing with readline

From
"Johnson, Shaunn"

--Gotcha.

--Got it working (sorta) now.

--I had to install zlib-devel-1.1.3-24 and ncurses-devel-5.2-12.

--Now I'm working on the 'crypto library not found' error for openSSL.

--Is it possible that a note could be made in future HISTORY files
--to suggest checking for the 'devel' of the zlib and ncurses for
--RedHat 7.x when installing?  Would help newbies like
--me in the long run.

--Just my $0.02 cents.

--Thanks again, all!

-X

> I'm trying to do a 'make clean' and start over, but, I am seeing a
> message saying that I have to run './configure' first.

If configure failed then there is nothing to 'make clean' ... just redo
configure.

                        regards, tom lane

Re: installing with readline

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Johnson, Shaunn writes:

> --Is it possible that a note could be made in future HISTORY files
> --to suggest checking for the 'devel' of the zlib and ncurses for
> --RedHat 7.x when installing?  Would help newbies like
> --me in the long run.

The advice printed by configure was to look into config.log for the cause
of the failure.  There you should have seen a message indicating which
file was missing and you could have used, say, rpmfind to figure out which
package you had to install.

We cannot really get into the business of tracking where every version of
every operating system hides its files.  If you don't want to bother doing
that yourself, then a packaged version of PostgreSQL may be right for you.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net