PQexec and timeouts

From
Medi Montaseri
Date:
Is there any configuration parameter (run time or compile time) that would
allow me to timeout from a query.....

ie, say I make a query (select or delete or whatever) against the
backend which
is using some disk off of a networked storage (NAS, SAN, etc)...

I need to timeout if the resource (disk or the network) is wedged...

If not, then what if I implement it using
    PQsendQuery()
    select on the connection socket with some timeout
    if you haven't gotton your answer, abort the query...

What is the best way to abort the query...I know of

PQfinish()    # too expensive, it closes the TCP connection
PQreset()    # not sure but almost as expensive as PQfinish()
PQrequestCancel()   # this sounds good...

Thanks

Re: PQexec and timeouts

Date:
Have you seen 'statement_timeout" SET parameter in 7.3?

Medi Montaseri wrote:
> Is there any configuration parameter (run time or compile time) that would
> allow me to timeout from a query.....
>
> ie, say I make a query (select or delete or whatever) against the
> backend which
> is using some disk off of a networked storage (NAS, SAN, etc)...
>
> I need to timeout if the resource (disk or the network) is wedged...
>
> If not, then what if I implement it using
>     PQsendQuery()
>     select on the connection socket with some timeout
>     if you haven't gotton your answer, abort the query...
>
> What is the best way to abort the query...I know of
>
> PQfinish()    # too expensive, it closes the TCP connection
> PQreset()    # not sure but almost as expensive as PQfinish()
> PQrequestCancel()   # this sounds good...
>
> Thanks

Re: PQexec and timeouts

From
Medi Montaseri
Date:
Ahaa....that is good....keep it comming....