Problem compiling 7.3

From
"Chris Boget"
Date:
I downloaded and tried compiling 7.3 with the following
configuration line:

./configure --with-perl --enable-syslog

which is the same way I compiled and installed 7.2.
However, 7.3 is having problems and gives me the following error:

----------------------
checking for readline... no
configure: error: readline library not found
If you have readline already installed, see config.log for details on the
failure.  It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper directory.
Use --without-readline to disable readline support.
-----------------------

I looked in the config.log file but it didn't tell me (a newbie) anything
very useful to help me try to find from where my problem is stemming.

Also, I do have readline installed.  When running "rpm -q -l readline", I
get the following:

----------------------
/usr/lib/libhistory.so.4
/usr/lib/libhistory.so.4.2
/usr/lib/libreadline.so.4
/usr/lib/libreadline.so.4.2
/usr/share/info/history.info.gz
/usr/share/info/readline.info.gz
/usr/share/info/rluserman.info.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/history.3.gz
/usr/share/man/man3/readline.3.gz
----------------------

And checking the rpmfind.net site, it appears that I have the latest
version of readline: readline-4.2a-4.

So ok, I then go and change the configure command line to read:

./configure --with-perl --enable-syslog --with-libraries=/usr/lib \
--with-includes=/usr/lib

but still no joy.
What's going on.  What can I look at/into to try to figure out what my
problem is.  I'm just looking for some hints/pointers as opposed to an
outright answer so I can try to figure out/fix this myself.  There's no
better way to learn. :p  My only problem is I just don't know where to
look.

thnx,
Chris

Re: Problem compiling 7.3

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
"Chris Boget" <chris@wild.net> writes:

> I downloaded and tried compiling 7.3 with the following
> configuration line:
>
> ./configure --with-perl --enable-syslog
>
> which is the same way I compiled and installed 7.2.
> However, 7.3 is having problems and gives me the following error:
>
> ----------------------
> checking for readline... no
> configure: error: readline library not found

Do you have readline-devel installed?

-Doug

Re: Problem compiling 7.3

From
"Fernando Papa"
Date:
On solaris, with readline package installed, I get the same error... I
try with "--with-include=/usr/local/include/readline" but didn't work
too.

--
Fernando O. Papa

Re: Problem compiling 7.3

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Hi Fernando,

--On Donnerstag, 5. Dezember 2002 12:02 -0300 Fernando Papa
<fpapa@claxson.com> wrote:

> On solaris, with readline package installed, I get the same error... I
> try with "--with-include=/usr/local/include/readline" but didn't work
> too.

again, you also need -devel for this.
This is the same with zlib and every other lib you want to compile
your programs against.

Regards
Tino