postmaster process

From
"Al Bean"
Date:
Hi,

I just started working with postgres.  When I do a top and display all the
processes for the postgres user I notice that there are three postmaster
processes.  I'm just wondering if its normal for three to be running.  Is
there are way to increase / decrease this number?

Thanks,
Al

Re: postmaster process

From
"Magnus Naeslund(f)"
Date:
Al Bean <albean84@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just started working with postgres.  When I do a top and display
> all the processes for the postgres user I notice that there are three
> postmaster processes.  I'm just wondering if its normal for three to
> be running.  Is there are way to increase / decrease this number?
>
> Thanks,
> Al

Yes it's normal.
The three processes do different things:

postmaster <- main postgresql process
postgres: stats buffer process
postgres: stats collector process

The processes are forked so they don't take as much extra memory as one
would think.
Also there will be one more per session to the database.

Magnus