Looking for a "Linux on Playstation 2" person to compile PostgreSQL RPM's

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi everyone,

We know PostgreSQL will compile and run on the Sony Playstation 2, and
we now have the opportunity to include pre-compiled PostgreSQL RPM's
(for the Playstation 2 Linux kit) on the Sony site, as part of the
"Compiled For Your Convenience" collection.

Now, we just need someone with the Linux for Playstation 2 kit to
compile the RPM's so they can be added.

Does anyone already have a "Linux for Playstation 2" kit and would be
willing to compile them?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Looking for a "Linux on Playstation 2" person

From
Robert Treat
Date:
I don't have the kit, but I do have a playstation 2. If someone would be
willing to donate a kit I'd be willing to try and get it to compile. :-)

Robert Treat

On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 16:51, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We know PostgreSQL will compile and run on the Sony Playstation 2, and
> we now have the opportunity to include pre-compiled PostgreSQL RPM's
> (for the Playstation 2 Linux kit) on the Sony site, as part of the
> "Compiled For Your Convenience" collection.
>
> Now, we just need someone with the Linux for Playstation 2 kit to
> compile the RPM's so they can be added.
>
> Does anyone already have a "Linux for Playstation 2" kit and would be
> willing to compile them?
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

Re: Looking for a "Linux on Playstation 2" person to compile PostgreSQL RPM's

From
"Chris Boget"
Date:
> Now, we just need someone with the Linux for Playstation 2 kit to
> compile the RPM's so they can be added.

I ask this not because I'm trying to be trite but because I honestly do
not know.
Why would you want this?  What can you do with pgSQL (or any other
rdbms) on the Playstation 2?

Chris

Date:
Chris Boget wrote:

> > Now, we just need someone with the Linux for Playstation 2 kit to
> > compile the RPM's so they can be added.
>
> I ask this not because I'm trying to be trite but because I honestly do
> not know.
> Why would you want this?  What can you do with pgSQL (or any other
> rdbms) on the Playstation 2?

That's ok.

The short answer is to give people using Linux on the PS2 a database
option, as there presently don't appear to be any alternatives for them.

A side benefit is that we could possibly leverage it for
advocacy/marketing purposes, depending if that would be useful.  :)

i.e. "PostgreSQL announces support for the Sony Playstation 2" type of
press release, or just  for pointing out how scalable we can be.  Same
software, same API's, same interfaces, etc for PS2 -> 100+ CPU mission
critical powerhouses, etc.

:-)

As a humorous note, saw a guy on their mailing lists asking if Oracle
would work...  ;-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Chris