error: lost syncronization with server

From
"Aurangzeb M. Agha"
Date:
I'm trying to create a database on Linux RH 7.2 (postgres version 7.2.3)
from a pg_dumpall generated script on W2K, Cygwin (postgres version 7.2.3
also).  The script connects fine, starts creating tables, indexes, and
recoards, and then suddently throws up this error:

ERROR:  copy: line 1, CopyReadAttribute: end of record marker corrupted
lost synchronization with server, resetting connection

Any thoughts on what I need to be looking for?

    Thx in Advance,
    Aurangzeb

Re: error: lost syncronization with server

From
"Aurangzeb M. Agha"
Date:
I spoke to soon.  It seems the error I'm getting is from inside my dumpall
script:

-- Data for TOC Entry ID 147 (OID 16559)
--
-- Name: rating Type: TABLE DATA Owner: postgres
--

What _is_ this record?  Tehre seem to be quite a few of this type.

Did I use pg_dumpall incorrectly?

I simply started the postmaster and :

    %> pg_dumpall > myOutputFile.qsl

    Thx,
    Aurangzeb

:
:ERROR:  copy: line 1, CopyReadAttribute: end of record marker corrupted
:lost synchronization with server, resetting connection
:
:Any thoughts on what I need to be looking for?
:
:    Thx in Advance,
:    Aurangzeb
:
:

Re: error: lost syncronization with server

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 13 Nov 2002 at 5:56, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:

> I'm trying to create a database on Linux RH 7.2 (postgres version 7.2.3)
> from a pg_dumpall generated script on W2K, Cygwin (postgres version 7.2.3
> also).  The script connects fine, starts creating tables, indexes, and
> recoards, and then suddently throws up this error:
>
> ERROR:  copy: line 1, CopyReadAttribute: end of record marker corrupted
> lost synchronization with server, resetting connection
>
> Any thoughts on what I need to be looking for?

\n\r problem?

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Research, n.:    Consider Columbus:    He didn't know where he was going.    When he got
there he didn't know where he was.    When he got back he didn't know where he had

Re: error: lost syncronization with server

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:

> I spoke to soon.  It seems the error I'm getting is from inside my dumpall
> script:
>
> -- Data for TOC Entry ID 147 (OID 16559)
> --
> -- Name: rating Type: TABLE DATA Owner: postgres
> --
> COPY "rating" FROM stdin;
> \.
>
> What _is_ this record?  Tehre seem to be quite a few of this type.
>
> Did I use pg_dumpall incorrectly?
>
> I simply started the postmaster and :
>
>     %> pg_dumpall > myOutputFile.qsl

Is it possible that you're running into an end of line issue moving from
Windows to Linux?

Re: error: lost syncronization with server

From
"Aurangzeb M. Agha"
Date:
I don't think so, otherwise I think I would have seen this as soon as I
started the load.

What I did change 2nd time round was my pg_cumpall command:

    %> pg_dump -d <databasename> > databaseFile.sql

This seems to have gotten rid of all the "stdin" messages, and the load
goes fine.

FYI, pg_dump -d, --inserts dump data as INSERT, rather than COPY, commands

I think that was the problemo.

    Thx,
    Aurangzeb

:> I spoke to soon.  It seems the error I'm getting is from inside my dumpall
:> script:
:>
:> -- Data for TOC Entry ID 147 (OID 16559)
:> --
:> -- Name: rating Type: TABLE DATA Owner: postgres
:> --
:> COPY "rating" FROM stdin;
:> \.
:>

Date:
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Aurangzeb M. Agha wrote:

> I don't think so, otherwise I think I would have seen this as soon as I
> started the load.

Other statements are a little more forgiving about end of line things
because it's just space characters to other things.  I did jump to the
assumption that this was the first copy statement in the dump.