SQL Tuning

From
Murali Mohan Kasetty
Date:
Hi All,

    Is there any tool available for tuning sql statements for
PostgreySQl.

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Murali

Attachment

Re: SQL Tuning

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Monday 11 Nov 2002 4:47 am, Murali Mohan Kasetty wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     Is there any tool available for tuning sql statements for
> PostgreySQl.

There's nothing that will automatically tune them for you, but the standard
tool for profiling a query is EXPLAIN.

See the manuals for details on its use. I'd start with a simple query and
build up to more complex ones. Also check the list archives - plenty of
people have posted examples to the lists.
--
  Richard Huxton

Re: PostgreySQl.

From
"turuki"
Date:
Is PostgreySQL automatically instaleed?,When I install application soft
whichi need PostgreySQL.

Re: PostgreySQl.

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Turuki,

turuki wrote:

> Is PostgreySQL automatically instaleed?,When I install application soft
> whichi need PostgreySQL.

Which Operating System?

For example, Linux (Redhat, Debian, ... ), FreeBSD, Solaris, Windows,
etc?

And which application?

:)

+ Justin Clift

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: SQL Tuning

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Murali Mohan Kasetty wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     Is there any tool available for tuning sql statements for
> PostgreySQl.
>
> Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.

The most important tool for tuning SQL queries is your mind.  :-)

the next most important tool is the documentation.  Take a look here:

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/performance-tips.html

And the other important tool are the 'explain' and 'explain analyze'
commands.