pg_attribute always grow...

From
"Patrick Fiche"
Date:
Is there any reason why pg_attribute could always grow ( size in
relpages... ) even if number of tuples don't grow...
The indexes pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index and
pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index grow and I don't see any way to vacuum them
without restarting postgres with -O and -P options and launching REINDEX
command.
Could it be due to the fact that I create and drop many temporary tables in
stored procedures ?
Please help!!!!

Thanks

Patrick Fiche
email : patrick.fiche@aqsacom.com
tél : 01 69 29 36 18

Re: pg_attribute always grow...

Date:
Patrick Fiche wrote:
> Is there any reason why pg_attribute could always grow ( size in
> relpages... ) even if number of tuples don't grow...
> The indexes pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index and
> pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index grow and I don't see any way to vacuum them
> without restarting postgres with -O and -P options and launching REINDEX
> command.
> Could it be due to the fact that I create and drop many temporary tables in
> stored procedures ?

Yes, it could very well be that.  I am quite embarassed by our need to
reindex.

Re: pg_attribute always grow...

From
"Patrick Fiche"
Date:
Will the same occur if I create real tables instead of temporary tables as
for most of them, there is no concurrent access and no need to have the same
table in two different connexions...
What's the real performance difference between a temporary table and other
tables...

Thanks

Patrick Fiche
email : patrick.fiche@aqsacom.com
tél : 01 69 29 36 18

> Is there any reason why pg_attribute could always grow ( size in
> relpages... ) even if number of tuples don't grow...
> The indexes pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index and
> pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index grow and I don't see any way to vacuum
them
> without restarting postgres with -O and -P options and launching REINDEX
> command.
> Could it be due to the fact that I create and drop many temporary tables
in
> stored procedures ?

Yes, it could very well be that.  I am quite embarassed by our need to
reindex.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: pg_attribute always grow...

Date:
Sorry, real and temporary tables are going to have the same problems.

Patrick Fiche wrote:
> Will the same occur if I create real tables instead of temporary tables as
> for most of them, there is no concurrent access and no need to have the same
> table in two different connexions...
> What's the real performance difference between a temporary table and other
> tables...
>
> Thanks
>
> Patrick Fiche
> email : patrick.fiche@aqsacom.com
> t?l : 01 69 29 36 18

"Andrew Bartley"
Date:
I am having the same problems.

I too do a lot of creation and dropping of temp tables from within
functions.

Should I reindex every night?

> > Is there any reason why pg_attribute could always grow ( size in
> > relpages... ) even if number of tuples don't grow...
> > The indexes pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index and
> > pg_attribute_relid_attnum_index grow and I don't see any way to vacuum
them
> > without restarting postgres with -O and -P options and launching REINDEX
> > command.
> > Could it be due to the fact that I create and drop many temporary tables
in
> > stored procedures ?
>
> Yes, it could very well be that.  I am quite embarassed by our need to
> reindex.

>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
19073

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: pg_attribute always grow...

From
"Patrick Fiche"
Is there any plan in the near future to change this ?

Patrick Fiche wrote:
> Will the same occur if I create real tables instead of temporary tables as
> for most of them, there is no concurrent access and no need to have the
same
> table in two different connexions...
> What's the real performance difference between a temporary table and other
> tables...
>
> Thanks
>
> Patrick Fiche
> email : patrick.fiche@aqsacom.com
> t?l : 01 69 29 36 18

Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 11:58:56AM +0200, Patrick Fiche wrote:
> Is there any plan in the near future to change this ?

Yes, I'm working on this.

"La victoria es para quien se atreve a estar solo"

Re: pg_attribute always grow...

From
"Patrick Fiche"
Date: