PL/pgSQL

From
"Wojciech Strza³ka"
Date:
i've got a simple plsql function and this line is wrong:

   EXECUTE ''SELECT INTO lp MAX('' || column || '') AS MX FROM '' || table
|| '';'';

with error message:

"parse error at or near 'INTO' "

it seems like it don't recognize SELECT INTO - but what's wrong?

                                                    Thaks, Wojtek

Re: PL/pgSQL

From
Darren Ferguson
Date:
Try

EXECUTE ''SELECT MAX(''||column||'') INTO lp FROM '' || table;

This should work but haven't tested it.

Normally with select into though is is

select foo into bar from aa where id = _id;

HTH

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Wojciech Strza³ka wrote:

> i've got a simple plsql function and this line is wrong:
>
>    EXECUTE ''SELECT INTO lp MAX('' || column || '') AS MX FROM '' || table
> || '';'';
>
> with error message:
>
> "parse error at or near 'INTO' "
>
> it seems like it don't recognize SELECT INTO - but what's wrong?
>
>                                                     Thaks, Wojtek

Darren Ferguson

Re: PL/pgSQL

From
Patrick Welche
Date:
On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 04:53:26PM +0200, Wojciech Strza³ka wrote:
> i've got a simple plsql function and this line is wrong:
>
>    EXECUTE ''SELECT INTO lp MAX('' || column || '') AS MX FROM '' || table
> || '';'';
>
> with error message:
>
> "parse error at or near 'INTO' "
>
> it seems like it don't recognize SELECT INTO - but what's wrong?

How about

 EXECUTE ''SELECT MAX('' || column || '') AS MX INTO lp FROM '' || table

?

Cheers,

Patrick

Re: PL/pgSQL

Date:
Wojciech Strza?ka wrote:
> i've got a simple plsql function and this line is wrong:
>
>    EXECUTE ''SELECT INTO lp MAX('' || column || '') AS MX FROM '' || table
> || '';'';
>
> with error message:
>
> "parse error at or near 'INTO' "
>
> it seems like it don't recognize SELECT INTO - but what's wrong?

In PL/pgSQL, you have to use CREATE TABLE ... AS because INTO has
another meaning in PL/pgSQL.