"Custom" records?

From
Joel Palmius
Date:
Before asking this, I suspect that the answer is no, but I'll ask anyway.

Is there a way to return a completely custom column/row record from a
plpgsql function?

I'd want a function "Descriptives(int)" with results to looking like the
below when SELECT:ed :

  measurement | value
  ------------+------
  Mean        |  15.8
  Median      |  16.0
  Std.dev     |   0.8
  Max         |  38.0
  Min         |   0.0

If not possible in plpgsql, is there a workaround while still not having
an external program fetching a lot of data from the DB to do the
calculation?

  // Joel

Re: "Custom" records?

From
Neil Conway
Date:
Joel Palmius <joel.palmius@mh.se> writes:
> Is there a way to return a completely custom column/row record from a
> plpgsql function?

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to do this in 7.3.

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/plpgsql-control-structures.html

(see RETURN NEXT)

Set-returning functions can also be defined using C or SQL.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: "Custom" records?

From
"Peter Darley"
Date:
Joel,
    I don't have an answer for this, but I do have a question.
    I couldn't find any way to get a median native in PostgreSQL, did you write
a median function or some such?  If so, would you be willing to share it?
Thanks,
Peter Darley

Before asking this, I suspect that the answer is no, but I'll ask anyway.

Is there a way to return a completely custom column/row record from a
plpgsql function?

I'd want a function "Descriptives(int)" with results to looking like the
below when SELECT:ed :

  measurement | value
  ------------+------
  Mean        |  15.8
  Median      |  16.0
  Std.dev     |   0.8
  Max         |  38.0
  Min         |   0.0

If not possible in plpgsql, is there a workaround while still not having
an external program fetching a lot of data from the DB to do the
calculation?

  // Joel

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: "Custom" records?

From
Masaru Sugawara
Date:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:50:36 -0700
"Peter Darley" <pdarley@kinesis-cem.com> wrote:

> Joel,
>     I don't have an answer for this, but I do have a question.
>     I couldn't find any way to get a median native in PostgreSQL, did you write
> a median function or some such?  If so, would you be willing to share it?
> Thanks,
> Peter Darley

Here is one of ways to get median values.

http://www.brasileiro.net/postgres/cookbook/view-one-recipe.adp?recipe_id=5486

Regards,
Masaru Sugawara