An opportunity to prove PostgreSQL and our requirement of Case Study info

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi everyone,

An interesting development.

Afilias and LibertyRMS, the people who've been happily running the .info
namespace on PostgreSQL servers, are the technical backend of the ISOC
application for management of the .org
namespace.  However, ICANN is asking for more detail about the backend
database, to
prove it is an "appropriate choice for a mission critical
applications".  In particular, ICANN wants proof that other companies
are using PostgreSQL for Mission Critical things.

The Oracle/DB2/Sybase/etc guys have an advantage here because they
already have a bunch of case studies prepared and we're only beginning
to get these together.

Afilias and LibertyRMS are looking to pull as much relevant info
together as possible and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that
PostgreSQL is up to the task, in time for their presentation on
Saturday.

The kind of thing they're after is stuff that executives will be
interested in.  i.e. Case Studies and examples of other businesses
running PostgreSQL happily for Mission Critical stuff, under high load,
and getting support when they need it, etc.

The questions that ICANN have asked are online here:

http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/questions-to-applicants-13.htm

As you can see there is only a 2 day timeframe in which Afilias &
LibertyRMS can get the info they need together, including today, so
there's not much time.

The details of the ISOC application itself is online here if anyone is
interested:

http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/applications/isoc/

A point to make clear is this is not in any way an endorsement of their
application.  Some of the other places bidding also have significant
interests in PostgreSQL.  The only thing we're interested in here is
showing off that PostgreSQL itself is up to the task.

Can people please come forward to help them out with info about the
reliability and performance of PostgreSQL in Mission Critical
situations?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: An opportunity to prove PostgreSQL and our requirement of Case Study info

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2002/07/16/drake.html?page=2

I see in there a mention of the American Chemical Society and their database
of over a terabyte. Also there's a mention of BASF, another company that
looks big to me.

And I use postgres and I get great support on this list here, but I don't
think ICANN cares about that :)

And if nothing else, isn't the .info registry itself a good example?

Regards,
    Jeff

On Thursday 12 September 2002 10:28 pm, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> An interesting development.
>
> Afilias and LibertyRMS, the people who've been happily running the .info
> namespace on PostgreSQL servers, are the technical backend of the ISOC
> application for management of the .org
> namespace.  However, ICANN is asking for more detail about the backend
> database, to
> prove it is an "appropriate choice for a mission critical
> applications".  In particular, ICANN wants proof that other companies
> are using PostgreSQL for Mission Critical things.
>
> The Oracle/DB2/Sybase/etc guys have an advantage here because they
> already have a bunch of case studies prepared and we're only beginning
> to get these together.
>
> Afilias and LibertyRMS are looking to pull as much relevant info
> together as possible and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that
> PostgreSQL is up to the task, in time for their presentation on
> Saturday.
>
> The kind of thing they're after is stuff that executives will be
> interested in.  i.e. Case Studies and examples of other businesses
> running PostgreSQL happily for Mission Critical stuff, under high load,
> and getting support when they need it, etc.
>
> The questions that ICANN have asked are online here:
>
> http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/questions-to-applicants-13.htm
>
> As you can see there is only a 2 day timeframe in which Afilias &
> LibertyRMS can get the info they need together, including today, so
> there's not much time.
>
> The details of the ISOC application itself is online here if anyone is
> interested:
>
> http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/applications/isoc/
>
> A point to make clear is this is not in any way an endorsement of their
> application.  Some of the other places bidding also have significant
> interests in PostgreSQL.  The only thing we're interested in here is
> showing off that PostgreSQL itself is up to the task.
>
> Can people please come forward to help them out with info about the
> reliability and performance of PostgreSQL in Mission Critical
> situations?
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

Re: An opportunity to prove PostgreSQL and our requirement of Case Study info

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 03:28:12PM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:

> Afilias and LibertyRMS, the people who've been happily running the
> .info namespace on PostgreSQL servers, are the technical backend of
> the ISOC application for management of the .org namespace.
> However, ICANN is asking for more detail about the backend
> database, to prove it is an "appropriate choice for a mission
> critical applications".  In particular, ICANN wants proof that
> other companies are using PostgreSQL for Mission Critical things.

[. . .]

> Can people please come forward to help them out with info about the
> reliability and performance of PostgreSQL in Mission Critical
> situations?

Hi, everyone.

I know I really shouldn't post this all over, but, well, I'm going to
anyway.  Speaking for myself, I want to thank publicly the many
people who responded to this and other requests from Justin.  I
_think_ I've already mailed everyone who responded directly.  If you
responded, and I didn't mail you, I apologise.

I knew that lots of people we doing cool things with Postgres, but
the range of activities still surprised me.  And the conviction with
which people responsed was tremendously helpful.  Many of the manager
folks here come from a corporate background, and just couldn't
believe the helpfulness of the community.  It's things like that
which make you realise how fantastic PostgreSQL support is, especially
when you stack it up against the big commercial guys.  They may have
million-dollar marketing campaigns, but we have real strong belief in
our software.  You folks made what would have been an impossible task
into something achievable.  And I think you've made converts out of
some people who were once rather leery of our PostgreSQL use.

I especially want to thank Justin, who stopped at (as far as I could
tell) nothing to provide great examples of PostgreSQL use.  He was
invaluable to me, and I really appreciate it.

In case anyone wants to see the response-for-managers the corporate
people ultimately made, ICANN has posted it:

<http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/questions-to-applicants-13.htm#Response13TheInternetSocietyISOC>

(sorry, that's a long line).

Again, my thanks to everyone for such great software and so much
help.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

This is very encouraging.
I really hope to provide a case study sometimes in the future when my system
is ready with big data ( as it's not even finish right now ).
Well, this is all because of the great work of the PostgreSQL development
team and also all the supporting community.
Bravo !
I hope to see PostgreSQL booming in the web hosting services as the schema
will be introduced in 7.3.

Best regards
Andy

On Monday 16 September 2002 01:15 pm, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 03:28:12PM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Afilias and LibertyRMS, the people who've been happily running the
> > .info namespace on PostgreSQL servers, are the technical backend of
> > the ISOC application for management of the .org namespace.

Talk about full circle.  See my e-mail address's domain to get the punch line.

In more than one way WGCR relies on PostgreSQL for mission-critical data
storage.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio