psql ... does not like my user ... help please ;-)

From
jgdon
Date:
Hello I am playing with a fresh install of mandrake 8.2 and have decided
to use the postgresql db as my database for a simple phonebook application.

I am following the steps from a tutorial but can't seem to be able to
access my data base as the user i created ... I keep getting the msg:

psql: FATAL 1:  IDENT authentication failed for user "jim"

I am going to keep reading ... but i will hopefully get an answer to
this post quicker [;-)]

Thanks for any help in advance,
Jim

ps my actual attempt is listed below ...
bash-2.05$ createuser jim -P
Enter password for user "jim":
Enter it again:
Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) y
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) y
CREATE USER

bash-2.05$ createdb gombaPhoneBookDB
CREATE DATABASE

bash-2.05$ psql phoneBookDB -U jim
psql: FATAL 1:  IDENT authentication failed for user "jim"

bash-2.05$ psql phoneBookDB -u
psql: Warning: The -u option is deprecated. Use -U.
User name: jim
Password:
psql: FATAL 1:  IDENT authentication failed for user "jim"

Re: psql ... does not like my user ... help please ;-)

From
Robert Treat
Date:
I'd start by logging in as postgres and do "select * from pg_shadow"
This should show you if "jim" has been created as you believe and also
show you if a password has been set. Next I'd do a \l to get a list of
the databases on your system and their owners. I'm thinking jim may not
be authorized to connect to phoneBookDB. HTH

Robert Treat

On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 08:12, jgdon wrote:
> Hello I am playing with a fresh install of mandrake 8.2 and have decided
> to use the postgresql db as my database for a simple phonebook application.
>
> I am following the steps from a tutorial but can't seem to be able to
> access my data base as the user i created ... I keep getting the msg:
>
> psql: FATAL 1:  IDENT authentication failed for user "jim"
>

> I am going to keep reading ... but i will hopefully get an answer to
> this post quicker [;-)]
>
> Thanks for any help in advance,
> Jim
>
> ps my actual attempt is listed below ...
> bash-2.05$ createuser jim -P
> Enter password for user "jim":
> Enter it again:
> Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) y
> Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) y
> CREATE USER
>

> bash-2.05$ createdb gombaPhoneBookDB
> CREATE DATABASE
>

> bash-2.05$ psql phoneBookDB -U jim
> psql: FATAL 1:  IDENT authentication failed for user "jim"
>

> bash-2.05$ psql phoneBookDB -u
> psql: Warning: The -u option is deprecated. Use -U.
> User name: jim
> Password:
> psql: FATAL 1:  IDENT authentication failed for user "jim"

Re: psql ... does not like my user ... help please ;-)

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, jgdon wrote:

> Hello I am playing with a fresh install of mandrake 8.2 and have decided
> to use the postgresql db as my database for a simple phonebook application.
>
> I am following the steps from a tutorial but can't seem to be able to
> access my data base as the user i created ... I keep getting the msg:
>
> psql: FATAL 1:  IDENT authentication failed for user "jim"
>

> I am going to keep reading ... but i will hopefully get an answer to
> this post quicker [;-)]

What does your pg_hba.conf (in the data directory) say?  Are you logged in
as a user named jim?

Re: psql ... does not like my user ... help please ;-)

From
Lee Harr
Date:
> Hello I am playing with a fresh install of mandrake 8.2 and have decided
> to use the postgresql db as my database for a simple phonebook application.
>
> I am following the steps from a tutorial but can't seem to be able to
> access my data base as the user i created ... I keep getting the msg:
>
> psql: FATAL 1:  IDENT authentication failed for user "jim"

Take a look at your pg_hba.conf file

on my system it is in:
/usr/local/pgsql/data/

The file is quite well documented, but I think what you are going
to want to do is look down near the end for a line that starts
with the word local and ends with the word ident.

Change the ident to trust and you should be able to get in.
(You might prefer to change it to password, as that would be
more secure, but trust should definitely get you started)

Re: psql ... does not like my user ... help please ;-)

From
jgdon
Date:
Thanks all it was my config file ... ;-)

I just had to set up my psql for password auth ;-)