Getting a Database List

From
"Lee"
Date:
I need to know the interactive SQL syntax to get a listing of databases on
the current server.

Using Informix, the commands would be:
database sysmaster;
select name from sysdatabases;

MySQL:
show databases;

MS-SQL:
SELECT name FROM master..sysdatabases ORDER BY name

Please reply by posting to this newsgroup. My email address is hashed to
protect me from spamming.

Thanks,
Lee

Re: Getting a Database List

From
terry@greatgulfhomes.com
Date:
You can use \l

Which is just an alias for the query:
SELECT d.datname as "Name",
       u.usename as "Owner"
FROM pg_database d LEFT JOIN pg_user u ON d.datdba = u.usesysid
ORDER BY 1;

(in case you prefer to do the actual query)

Terry Fielder
Network Engineer
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry@greatgulfhomes.com

Re: Getting a Database List

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 10:55:04AM +0800, Lee wrote:
> I need to know the interactive SQL syntax to get a listing of databases on
> the current server.

psql -l

select * from pg_database;  (IIRC)

> Using Informix, the commands would be:
> database sysmaster;
> select name from sysdatabases;
>
> MySQL:
> show databases;
>
> MS-SQL:
> SELECT name FROM master..sysdatabases ORDER BY name
>
> Please reply by posting to this newsgroup. My email address is hashed to
> protect me from spamming.

> arithmetic and those that can't.

Re: Getting a Database List

From
Tom Jenkins
Lee wrote:
> I need to know the interactive SQL syntax to get a listing of databases on
> the current server.

select * from pg_database;

while in psql you can do \dS (i believe) to get a list of system tables
and views.

Tom Jenkins

Re: Getting a Database List

From
frbn
Lee a écrit:
> I need to know the interactive SQL syntax to get a listing of databases on
> the current server.
>
> Using Informix, the commands would be:
> database sysmaster;
> select name from sysdatabases;
>
> MySQL:
> show databases;
>
> MS-SQL:
> SELECT name FROM master..sysdatabases ORDER BY name

shell$ psql -E databasename
user$ \l