regression test

From
stefan@extum.com
Date:
Hi all,

I am trying to run the regression tests under PG 7.2.1 RedHat 7.3-
I have installed PG from rpms , so from package, not source code. Right
now I have no idea if I need the source code of PG in order to start and
compile the regression tests ?

It might be nice to have more added information, under
Administrator's Guide PG 7.2, about how actually can you
get the regression tests running ?

<COMMENT HERE>
For doc people:

Under Chapter 14 "Regression Tests", should be  clear defined
what do we need in order to run the regression test. that's
mandatory.Without that it is confusing.

Then as well we can add if the user has a source code base installation do
like that ... If the user has a rpm installation do like this .... (addind
additional rpm test package, then ... )

What do you think ?

<END COMMENT HERE>

So it seems I am missing Makefile.global. Where this file comes from ?
I might guess I need the hole source code of PG ?

bash-2.05a$ gmake installcheck
GNUmakefile:16: ../../../src/Makefile.global: No such file or directory
gmake: *** No rule to make target `../../../src/Makefile.global'.  Stop.

Regards,
Stefan

Re: regression test

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Wednesday 24 July 2002 06:13 am, stefan@extum.com wrote:
> I am trying to run the regression tests under PG 7.2.1 RedHat 7.3-
> I have installed PG from rpms , so from package, not source code. Right
> now I have no idea if I need the source code of PG in order to start and
> compile the regression tests ?

See /usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.2.1/README.rpm-dist -- it has your answers.

You will first need to see if the package 'postgresql-test' is installed -- if
not, you can get it from ftp.postgresql.org in
/pub/binary/v7.2.1/RPMS/redhat-7.3
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: regression test

From
stefan@extum.com
Date:
thanks for info
stefan

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 July 2002 06:13 am, stefan@extum.com wrote:
> > I am trying to run the regression tests under PG 7.2.1 RedHat 7.3-
> > I have installed PG from rpms , so from package, not source code. Right
> > now I have no idea if I need the source code of PG in order to start and
> > compile the regression tests ?
>
> See /usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.2.1/README.rpm-dist -- it has your answers.
>
> You will first need to see if the package 'postgresql-test' is installed -- if
> not, you can get it from ftp.postgresql.org in
> /pub/binary/v7.2.1/RPMS/redhat-7.3

Re: regression test

From
stefan@extum.com

Regarding regression tests in my machine.

My box is a linux i386 Pentium III, RedHat 7.3

I was able to run the regression tests. I have got 3 tests failed
during my run. See below.

parallel group (20 tests):  comments lseg type_sanity box reltime polygon
tinterval date point time circle path tim
etz abstime interval opr_sanity oidjoins inet timestamp timestamptz
     point                ... ok
     lseg                 ... ok
     box                  ... ok
     path                 ... ok
     polygon              ... ok
     circle               ... ok
     date                 ... ok
     time                 ... ok
     timetz               ... ok
     timestamp            ... ok
     timestamptz          ... ok
     interval             ... ok
     abstime              ... FAILED
     reltime              ... ok
     tinterval            ... FAILED
     inet                 ... ok
     comments             ... ok
     oidjoins             ... ok
     type_sanity          ... ok
     opr_sanity           ... ok
test geometry             ... ok
test horology             ... FAILED
test create_function_1    ... ok
test create_type          ... ok
test create_table         ... ok
test create_function_2    ... ok
test copy                 ... ok

Looking and inspecting the regression.diffs I have got lots of things
which I don't understand.

I have attached the regression.diffs . Can I make sure my PG is properly
installed in this way, having 3 steps failed ? Is this something to do
with my Linux OS or PG ?

stefan

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 July 2002 06:13 am, stefan@extum.com wrote:
> > I am trying to run the regression tests under PG 7.2.1 RedHat 7.3-
> > I have installed PG from rpms , so from package, not source code. Right
> > now I have no idea if I need the source code of PG in order to start and
> > compile the regression tests ?
>
> See /usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.2.1/README.rpm-dist -- it has your answers.
>
> You will first need to see if the package 'postgresql-test' is installed -- if
> not, you can get it from ftp.postgresql.org in
> /pub/binary/v7.2.1/RPMS/redhat-7.3

Attachment

Re: regression test

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 stefan@extum.com wrote:

> Regarding regression tests in my machine.
>
> My box is a linux i386 Pentium III, RedHat 7.3
>
> I was able to run the regression tests. I have got 3 tests failed
> during my run. See below.

Looks like issues with timezones before epoch probably due to
the changes to mktime (IIRC) in glibc.  If you're not using such times
you probably won't have to worry about it.

Re: regression test

From
stefan@extum.com
Date:
mktime(3) is different in FreeBSD than in RedHat ? Why did they changed it
? Anyway thanks for tip.

I wanted to ask what main Operating System the developers are
using for coding PG ?

>>FreeBSD, RedHat, Solaris ?

Is it developed under one and ported then to other OSes, I think...

stefan

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 stefan@extum.com wrote:
>

> > Regarding regression tests in my machine.
> >
> > My box is a linux i386 Pentium III, RedHat 7.3
> >
> > I was able to run the regression tests. I have got 3 tests failed
> > during my run. See below.
>
> Looks like issues with timezones before epoch probably due to
> the changes to mktime (IIRC) in glibc.  If you're not using such times
> you probably won't have to worry about it.

Re: regression test

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 01:14:49AM +0300, stefan@extum.com wrote:

> mktime(3) is different in FreeBSD than in RedHat ? Why did they changed it
> ? Anyway thanks for tip.

Red Hat has just changed it, because the glibc people have just
changed it.  This is what POSIX hath wrought, supposedly.

Anyway, there was a recent big kerfuffle about it on this list and
others.  See

<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=m34rh68465.fsf%40dep4.fciencias.unam.mx>

and the resulting thread for details (sorry about the long line, but
the postgres archives haven't been working for me).

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: regression test

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
stefan@extum.com writes:

> >>FreeBSD, RedHat, Solaris ?
>
> Is it developed under one and ported then to other OSes, I think...

Actually the developers use a mixture of Unix flavors.  Portability
issues that arise tend to be corrected very quickly. ;)

-Doug

Re: regression test

Date:
stefan@extum.com wrote:

> mktime(3) is different in FreeBSD than in RedHat ? Why did they changed it
> ? Anyway thanks for tip.
>
> I wanted to ask what main Operating System the developers are
> using for coding PG ?
>
> >>FreeBSD, RedHat, Solaris ?
>
> Is it developed under one and ported then to other OSes, I think...

We all use different OS's;  they are all important.