Converting from .MDB Access to PostgreSQL

From
"Bob Puff@NLE"
Date:
Hello,

I'm somewhat a newbie to databases, but not to Linux or Windows.  Have a client that is running
software on the Win32 platform that is currently using ODBC to access .MDB "MS Access database
files" on a samba fileserver.  They are getting random record locking errors, and the software
vendor is blaming the number of computers, saying that the ODBC access to database files is only
good for a handful of computers, not the 8 that we have.

Their recommendation is to use MS SQL database, and set up the entries in the ODBC panel for the
clients to point to the MS server.  They provide a little utility to create and copy the .MDB file
data to the MS SQL database server.

I want to use PostgreSQL, not MS's product.  I've got the server set up, and have the ODBC drivers
installed on a test client, but now I need to get the data from the .MDB files into the PostgreSQL.
  There are several databases.

What is the most pain-free way one can accomplish this?  I think the Access database files are an
older format, because when I go to open them with MS Access 2000, it states that the files need to
be converted to the new format (which I obviously did not do - didn't want to break the app).

I assume there are two distinct functions that need to be done:
   1. Create the databases, with the appropriate tables and columns
   2. Move the data within the database.

I did do some searching on the site, but most of the stuff didn't quite "click".  Any advice given
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Bob

Re: Converting from .MDB Access to PostgreSQL

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Tuesday 09 July 2002 07:49 pm, bob@nleaudio.com wrote:
> What is the most pain-free way one can accomplish this?  I think the Access
> database files are an older format, because when I go to open them with MS
> Access 2000, it states that the files need to be converted to the new
> format (which I obviously did not do - didn't want to break the app).

PgAdmin can do the migration, if I remember correctly. In particular, there is
a database migration wizard plugin -- see
http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/pgadmin2.php?ContentID=15 for more details.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Converting from .MDB Access to PostgreSQL

From
Chris Albertson
Date:
I'm sure you can get MS Access to dump its data into a
comma or pipe delimited ASCII file.  If so, Postgresql's
COPY command (see "man copy") can read these files.  It is
mostly painless unless there are many tables.

--- "Bob Puff@NLE" <bob@nleaudio.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> I assume there are two distinct functions that need to be done:
>    1. Create the databases, with the appropriate tables and columns
>    2. Move the data within the database.
>
> I did do some searching on the site, but most of the stuff didn't
> quite "click".  Any advice given
> would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> Bob
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278@yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550
  Office: 310-336-5189  Christopher.J.Albertson@aero.org

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Re: Converting from .MDB Access to PostgreSQL

From
Patrick Welche
Date:
On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 05:54:08PM -0700, Chris Albertson wrote:

> I'm sure you can get MS Access to dump its data into a
> comma or pipe delimited ASCII file.

.. or even File / Save As/Export / External .. Database
Save as type: ODBC Databases
-> Data source pointing to the database on the postgresql server.

Cheers,

Patrick

Re: Converting from .MDB Access to PostgreSQL

From
"Booth, Robert"
Date:
Bob,
    I just went through this exact process, and am still feeling the
pain of it.  So maybe I can be of some help.  I didn't know about the
pgAdminII conversion wizard and so did this myself with a little java app
that I wrote.  I'd suggest using the wizard
(http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/pgadmin2.php?ContentID=15) it'll make the
first step easier.

    If you run into any issues feel free to ask and I'll do my best to
help out.  Watch out for bad table/column names in your Access database.
Access allows for almost any characters to be used in the table/column names
and Postgres does not, unless you surround them with "".  If you do use
names that need to be quoted they will have to be quoted everywhere.

Rob

Date:
Thanks for everyone's comments.  I tried using Access to export to the odbc database, but no go.  I then tried PgAdmin,
whichhas sucessfully converted a few databases, but
I am still stuck on some others.

The ones that won't convert have tables with entries of type "OLE Object", of which I don't see a corresponding field
typein Postgres.  How do I get past this?

Bob

Re: Converting from .MDB Access to PostgreSQL

From
"Bob Puff@NLE"
Date:
HI Bob (& all),

I do not know how large the data could be.  It could be a picture, it could be anything... I would say it should be
under250k long.  What type should I use for this?  Is
there not a generic "byte" type variable that can handle say a meg of undefined data?

Bob

pgsql-gen Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com)
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Converting from .MDB Access to PostgreSQL
From: Steven Citron-Pousty <sic4@pantheon.yale.edu>
 ===
Those are BLOB in postgres, but I am no expert in using or moving those.