createdb error

From
"Krummenacher, Gabriel"
Date:
Hello,

when trying to create a database with 'createdb test' i get the following
error message:
psql: could not create socket: No such file or directory
createdb: database creation failed

postmaster is started and says:
DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2003-03-16 20:05:19 cet
DEBUG:  checkpoint record is at 0/109BB4
DEBUG:  redo record is at 0/109BB4; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
DEBUG:  next transaction id: 89; next oid: 16556
DEBUG:  database system is ready

I am using postgreSQL 7.2.1 on QNX 6.1 x86. Has anyone an idea of what I
could be doing wrong? 'netstat -a' does not show any ports belonging to
postgreSQL...

Thanks for every help,
Gabriel Krummenacher

Re: createdb error

Date:
"Krummenacher, Gabriel" <krum@zellweger.ch> writes:
> I am using postgreSQL 7.2.1 on QNX 6.1 x86.

I'm afraid QNX 6 is not yet a supported platform.  (We received patches
that claimed to make it so, but they were too late for the 7.2 cycle.
Check the archives from last November or so if you'd like to try
applying them for yourself.)

How did you go about configuring and building Postgres, anyway?
Which OS template did configure pick?

            regards, tom lane

Re: createdb error

From
"Krummenacher, Gabriel"
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
> How did you go about configuring and building Postgres, anyway?
> Which OS template did configure pick?

Well, I actually just downloaded the Neutrino 3rd Party Software .iso from
http://www.qnx.com/developer/download/contrib/, there was a
QNX-Installation-Package (binary), so I didn't have to configure anything. I
don't know if any patches where applied or how it was built...

Gabriel

Re: createdb error

From
"Christian"
Date:
""Krummenacher, Gabriel"" <krum@zellweger.ch> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> when trying to create a database with 'createdb test' i get the following
> error message:
> psql: could not create socket: No such file or directory
> createdb: database creation failed
>
> postmaster is started and says:
> DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2003-03-16 20:05:19 cet
> DEBUG:  checkpoint record is at 0/109BB4
> DEBUG:  redo record is at 0/109BB4; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
> DEBUG:  next transaction id: 89; next oid: 16556
> DEBUG:  database system is ready
>
> I am using postgreSQL 7.2.1 on QNX 6.1 x86. Has anyone an idea of what I
> could be doing wrong? 'netstat -a' does not show any ports belonging to
> postgreSQL...

Have you started postmaster with the -i option so that it uses TCP sockets
instead of unix sockets ? Then, 'netstat -na' should show TCP port 5432
listening for connections.

Christian

Re: createdb error

From
"Krummenacher, Gabriel"
From: Christian [mailto:cgregoir99@yahoo.com]
> Have you started postmaster with the -i option so that it
> uses TCP sockets
> instead of unix sockets ? Then, 'netstat -na' should show TCP
> port 5432
> listening for connections.

Oke, it does that. But createdb still does not work:

$ netstat -na | grep 5432
tcp        0      0  *.5432                 *.*                    LISTEN
$ createdb test
psql: could not create socket: No such file or directory
createdb: database creation failed

Gäbe