Moving data from FreeBSD to Red Hat

From
Francisco Reyes
Date:
I have some data which I backed up from a FreeBSD machine. In FreeBSD the
DB superuser is pgsql. In Red Hat Linux it is Postgresql.

when i try to use pg_restore to get some data which was in FreeBSD to Red
Hat I get an error.

bash-2.05$ pg_restore -d temp -U postgres -S postgres bestpal.dump
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not reconnect to database: FATAL 1:
IDENT authentication failed for user "pgsql"

I even tried creating a user pgsql in the Red Hat machine, but that didn't
help.

Any suggestions?

The file I created was compressed. Do I need to use the ASCII format to
move data across?

Re: Moving data from FreeBSD to Red Hat

Date:
Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com> writes:
> bash-2.05$ pg_restore -d temp -U postgres -S postgres bestpal.dump
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not reconnect to database: FATAL 1:
> IDENT authentication failed for user "pgsql"

Try it with --use-set-session-authorization.  Alternatively, back off
the pg_hba setting to "trust" (or something pretty weak anyway) to run
the restore.

I'd like to see --use-set-session-authorization become the default
(maybe even the only method) in 7.3.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Sat, 25 May 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com> writes:
> > bash-2.05$ pg_restore -d temp -U postgres -S postgres bestpal.dump
> > pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not reconnect to database: FATAL 1:
> > IDENT authentication failed for user "pgsql"
>
> Try it with --use-set-session-authorization.  Alternatively, back off
> the pg_hba setting to "trust" (or something pretty weak anyway) to run
> the restore.

That worked.
It seemed pg_restore gave less output on Red Hat than when I did it on
FreeBSD. Maybe before I specified some type of vervose mode.

Date:
> I'd like to see --use-set-session-authorization become the default
> (maybe even the only method) in 7.3.

Got the restore working.
I think that option been the default is fine, but I disagree it should be
the only option. In my case I ended up using an option, I think it was -R,
which just switched the ownership to the user that was loading.