Returns from ExecTuplesOk()

From
Paul M Foster
Date:
I'm confused. In libpq++, it seems that ExecTuplesOk() should return
PGRES_TUPLES_OK if a tuples are returned from the query. Yet I'm getting
PGRES_COMMAND_OK instead. When I then check Tuples(), it returns 1. Am I
missing something?

Paul

Re: Returns from ExecTuplesOk() SOLVED

From
Paul M Foster
Date:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 10:58:10PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:

> I'm confused. In libpq++, it seems that ExecTuplesOk() should return
> PGRES_TUPLES_OK if a tuples are returned from the query. Yet I'm getting
> PGRES_COMMAND_OK instead. When I then check Tuples(), it returns 1. Am I
> missing something?
>
> Paul

Okay, I answered this myself.

Apparently, ExecCommandOk() and ExecTuplesOk() return true or false, not
PGRES_* values. Beyond that, there is no other clue about why a query
would fail. The PGRES_* values are only returned by the Exec() function,
which you are discouraged from using, for some reason.

I read this in the docs in the first place, but dismissed it as a
misprint. Duh.

Date:
Paul M Foster wrote:
> I'm confused. In libpq++, it seems that ExecTuplesOk() should return
> PGRES_TUPLES_OK if a tuples are returned from the query. Yet I'm getting
> PGRES_COMMAND_OK instead. When I then check Tuples(), it returns 1. Am I
> missing something?

I am not sure.  Does libpq++/examples help?