Problems building 7.2.1 RPMs

From
Paulo Jan
Hi all:

    I'm having problems building binary RPMs for PostgresSQL 7.2.1 from
source. First of all, the circunstances:

    -I am using Red Hat Linux 6.2.
    -I have updated the required system libraries, utilities, etc. needed
to compile 7.2.1 (patch and readline).
    -I am using the SRPM that I found in Red Hat Rawhide
(ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/rawhide/1.0/SRPMS/SRPMS/postgresql-7.2.1-3.src.rpm).
    -I edited the postgresql.spec file to take out the references to
gettext and set nls=0, since I couldn't find an up-to-date binary RPM of
gettext for Red Hat 6.2 (some posts in this mailing list mentioned that
they couldn't get gettext to compile under 6.2 anyway, and suggested
this approach).
    -To compile everything, I used the following command: " rpm -ba
--target=i586 --define 'tcl 0' --define 'tkpkg 0' --define 'python 0'
--define 'pltcl 0' --define 'kerberos 0' --define 'pgaccess 0' --define
'newintarray 1' /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/postgresql.spec".

    And now, the problem: after compiling everything, when trying to
generate the RPMS it says: "File not found:
/var/tmp/postgresql-7.2.1-root/usr/lib/libpgtcl.a".

    I have TCL installed (but not Tk), and with the above configuration
(updated readline and patch, removed gettext, etc.) I was able to create
binary RPMs of Postgres 7.2 using the official SRPM.
    What can I do? Any ideas? If you need more information, don't hesitate
to ask.

                        Paulo Jan.
                        DDnet.

Re: Problems building 7.2.1 RPMs

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Tuesday 09 April 2002 09:40 am, Paulo Jan wrote:
>     I'm having problems building binary RPMs for PostgresSQL 7.2.1 from
> source. First of all, the circunstances:

>     -I am using Red Hat Linux 6.2.
>     -I have updated the required system libraries, utilities, etc. needed
> to compile 7.2.1 (patch and readline).
>     -I am using the SRPM that I found in Red Hat Rawhide
> (ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/rawhide/1.0/SRPMS/SRPMS/postgresql-7.2.1-3.src.rpm

Ok, realize that rawhide RPM's are built on, well, a decidedly non-6.2 box.
7.2 or better, more likely.

>     And now, the problem: after compiling everything, when trying to
> generate the RPMS it says: "File not found:
> /var/tmp/postgresql-7.2.1-root/usr/lib/libpgtcl.a".

>     I have TCL installed (but not Tk), and with the above configuration
> (updated readline and patch, removed gettext, etc.) I was able to create
> binary RPMs of Postgres 7.2 using the official SRPM.

Diff the older 7.2 spec against the rawhide spec and see what changed (quite a
bit changed, BTW).  Installing tk might help, though -- but, if you haven't X
installed, then, well, that's a whole 'nother issue.

>     What can I do? Any ideas? If you need more information, don't hesitate
> to ask.

Ok, do this for me (and e-mail the result directly to me, and not to the
list):  rpm-command-from-above 2>&1 >build.log &
tail -f build.log

(so you can watch it).

Then e-mail me build.log.

Oh, and I'm working on more backwards-compatible 7.2.1 RPMs -- I've been on
vacation (to recover from working during another vacation that I took to
recover from the hardest 4 months I've had at work).  But it's time for me to
get back into this saddle.  Sorry for the delay.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Problems building 7.2.1 RPMs

From
Paulo Jan

> >       And now, the problem: after compiling everything, when trying to
> > generate the RPMS it says: "File not found:
> > /var/tmp/postgresql-7.2.1-root/usr/lib/libpgtcl.a".
>
> >       I have TCL installed (but not Tk), and with the above configuration
> > (updated readline and patch, removed gettext, etc.) I was able to create
> > binary RPMs of Postgres 7.2 using the official SRPM.
>
> Diff the older 7.2 spec against the rawhide spec and see what changed (quite a
> bit changed, BTW).  Installing tk might help, though -- but, if you haven't X
> installed, then, well, that's a whole 'nother issue.

    Okay, this is what I did, and here is what I found:

> * Thu Mar 21 2002 Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg@redhat.com> 7.2-6
> - Move the libpgtcl.so symlink into the tcl subpackage from -devel (#61042)

    I tried again, building postgresql-tcl too... and it worked. Tadaaa!!
    (I don't know if it's necessary, but I can still send you the build log
if you want it).

Date:
On Wednesday 10 April 2002 07:14 am, Paulo Jan wrote:
> > > generate the RPMS it says: "File not found:
> > > /var/tmp/postgresql-7.2.1-root/usr/lib/libpgtcl.a".
[snip]
>     I tried again, building postgresql-tcl too... and it worked. Tadaaa!!
>     (I don't know if it's necessary, but I can still send you the build log
> if you want it).

Ah.  Postgresql-devel requires libpgtcl.a.  Aha.  Please send me the log.

Now I have to decide how to handle this cross-rpm dependency problem, while
still allowing conditional builds....

For the group:
His build didn't build libpgtcl.a (the static link development library for the
tcl client), and the rpm build barfed when it couldn't find that file to put
in the _postgresql-devel_ subpackage.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Date:
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:

> [snip]
> >     I tried again, building postgresql-tcl too... and it worked. Tadaaa!!
> >     (I don't know if it's necessary, but I can still send you the build log
> > if you want it).
>
> Ah.  Postgresql-devel requires libpgtcl.a.  Aha.  Please send me the log.
>
> Now I have to decide how to handle this cross-rpm dependency problem, while
> still allowing conditional builds....
>
> For the group:
> His build didn't build libpgtcl.a (the static link development library for the
> tcl client), and the rpm build barfed when it couldn't find that file to put
> in the _postgresql-devel_ subpackage.

And the changelog entry he referred to was me fixing it a couple of
weeks ago. Conditionals work in filelists too

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Problems building 7.2.1 RPMs

From
lec
Paulo Jan wrote:

>         Okay, this is what I did, and here is what I found:
>
> > * Thu Mar 21 2002 Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg@redhat.com> 7.2-6
> > - Move the libpgtcl.so symlink into the tcl subpackage from -devel (#61042)
>
>         I tried again, building postgresql-tcl too... and it worked. Tadaaa!!
>         (I don't know if it's necessary, but I can still send you the build log
> if you want it).

Does this mean that you managed to build 7.2.1 for RedHat 6.2?

--lec

lec wrote:

> Paulo Jan wrote:
>
> >         Okay, this is what I did, and here is what I found:
> >
> > > * Thu Mar 21 2002 Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg@redhat.com> 7.2-6
> > > - Move the libpgtcl.so symlink into the tcl subpackage from -devel (#61042)
> >
> >         I tried again, building postgresql-tcl too... and it worked. Tadaaa!!
> >         (I don't know if it's necessary, but I can still send you the build log
> > if you want it).
> >

> Does this mean that you managed to build 7.2.1 for RedHat 6.2?
>
> --lec

    Yep, though I didn't build all the packages, only the ones that I
needed.

                        Paulo Jan.
                        DDnet.