I18n & Pgaccess ( & psql)

From
Leif Jensen
Date:
    Hi all,

  I have been using PostgreSQL for a very long time, but just recently
started to use Pgaccess. Very impressive program ;-).

  I have some problems with international characters and Pgaccess. I don't
seem to be able to figure out where the problem is. When I enter a danish
character (ascii value above 128, e.g. æøå) in a pgaccess table form
(varchar field) it seems to be entered in the database as two bytes. This
indicates to me that somewhere the character set might be multibyte
(UniCode ??). If I enter the same characters using PgAdmin, they are
stored correctly as single byte characters.

  I have been scanning a lot of docs and logs to figure out how to
diagnose the problem, but without luck.

  I'm using

PostgreSQL 7.2.1
Linux 2.2.19 (Slackware 8.0)
Xfree86 4.0

  Please help,

 Leif

Re: I18n & Pgaccess ( & psql)

From
tony
Date:
On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 11:49, Leif Jensen wrote:

>   I have some problems with international characters and Pgaccess. I don't
> seem to be able to figure out where the problem is. When I enter a danish
> character (ascii value above 128, e.g. æøå) in a pgaccess table form
> (varchar field) it seems to be entered in the database as two bytes. This
> indicates to me that somewhere the character set might be multibyte
> (UniCode ??). If I enter the same characters using PgAdmin, they are
> stored correctly as single byte characters.
>
>   I have been scanning a lot of docs and logs to figure out how to
> diagnose the problem, but without luck.

Is your locale set correctly? Tcl/tk is very picky with locale.

I have had accents working but have also learned to live with them not
working. I don't use pgaccess to enter data just to manipulate it. If I
want to insert data record by record I use psql.

Cheers

Tony Grant

--
RedHat Linux on Sony Vaio C1XD/S
http://www.animaproductions.com/linux2.html

Re: I18n & Pgaccess ( & psql)

From
"Tille, Andreas"
Date:
On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Leif Jensen wrote:

>   I have been using PostgreSQL for a very long time, but just recently
> started to use Pgaccess. Very impressive program ;-).
Actually I'm not really impressed by pgaccess. Every time I want
to insert i18n charcaters I have to boot my second box with W$ and
fire up Access.  This is the only reason for me to run Win$ and I would
really love if someone would tell me about some modern Gtk+ or Qt based
PostgreSQL client which offers a reasonable internationalized table
editing.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

Re: I18n & Pgaccess ( & psql)

From
Leif Jensen
Date:
    Hi Tony,

   Thx, for your reply.

On 8 Apr 2002, tony wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 11:49, Leif Jensen wrote:
>
> >   I have some problems with international characters and Pgaccess. I don't
> > seem to be able to figure out where the problem is. When I enter a danish
> > character (ascii value above 128, e.g. æøå) in a pgaccess table form
> > (varchar field) it seems to be entered in the database as two bytes. This
> > indicates to me that somewhere the character set might be multibyte
> > (UniCode ??). If I enter the same characters using PgAdmin, they are
> > stored correctly as single byte characters.
> >
> >   I have been scanning a lot of docs and logs to figure out how to
> > diagnose the problem, but without luck.
>
> Is your locale set correctly? Tcl/tk is very picky with locale.

   Well, I really don't know where to look/check !? I have been living
with non-national characters for a long time myself (but they do work with
programs like elvis, pine, etc.) Some other people in my company now needs
to use some simple entry tool both from Linux and Windows. That's why I
thought Pgaccess would be a good choice.

   When you talk about tcl/tk, I suppose you mean the client side!? This
is where I am typing these æøåéè ! Has it something to with the Tcl/Tk
installation/configuration ?

   On the Windows side I have just been running an X-server with Pgaccess
running on the PostgreSQL server itself.

> I have had accents working but have also learned to live with them not
> working. I don't use pgaccess to enter data just to manipulate it. If I
> want to insert data record by record I use psql.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tony Grant

   Sorry for my ignorance in this matter ;-).

    Thanks again,

 Leif

Re: I18n & Pgaccess ( & psql)

From
tony
Date:
On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 13:10, Leif Jensen wrote:

>    Well, I really don't know where to look/check !? I have been living
> with non-national characters for a long time myself (but they do work with
> programs like elvis, pine, etc.) Some other people in my company now needs
> to use some simple entry tool both from Linux and Windows. That's why I
> thought Pgaccess would be a good choice.

OK so check out DBvisualiser or some other Java tool for them.

There are several Java tools in the techdocs.posgresql.org site

Cheers

Tony Grant

--

Date:
On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 12:53, Tille, Andreas wrote:

> Actually I'm not really impressed by pgaccess. Every time I want
> to insert i18n charcaters I have to boot my second box with W$ and
> fire up Access.  This is the only reason for me to run Win$ and I would
> really love if someone would tell me about some modern Gtk+ or Qt based
> PostgreSQL client which offers a reasonable internationalized table
> editing.

I use it a lot but not for inserting data other than by importing txt
files.

See my answer to Lief

Cheers

Tony Grant

--

Date:
On 8 Apr 2002, tony wrote:

> OK so check out DBvisualiser or some other Java tool for them.
Thanks for the hint.  Seem to be nice.  On the other hand it is a
quite restrictive License and no source available.  Moreover it
does not actually help in the case of international characters
in select statements :-(((.

Moreover it does not seem to have the functionality like pgaccess
to just edit certain fields in a table.  I just can't believe that
people do not miss something like Access for Linux ...

> There are several Java tools in the techdocs.posgresql.org site
Any certain link on this page?  I even missed the DBvisualizer (please
note the 'z' instead of 's' in your quote). and found it using Google
search.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

Re: I18n & Pgaccess ( & psql)

From
tony
Date:
On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 14:53, Tille, Andreas wrote:

> > OK so check out DBvisualiser or some other Java tool for them.
> Thanks for the hint.  Seem to be nice.  On the other hand it is a
> quite restrictive License and no source available.  Moreover it
> does not actually help in the case of international characters
> in select statements :-(((.

I was looking for a tool for a client who is moving away from commercial
software so the livence didn't bother me (the client is a not for
profit). If you set your locale correctly for Java the characters should
work. (they do on my Mac test client)

> Moreover it does not seem to have the functionality like pgaccess
> to just edit certain fields in a table.  I just can't believe that
> people do not miss something like Access for Linux ...

True

> > There are several Java tools in the techdocs.posgresql.org site
> Any certain link on this page?  I even missed the DBvisualizer (please
> note the 'z' instead of 's' in your quote). and found it using Google
> search.

Ah! I have been living in France for 25 years so the 's' and 'z' thing
is quite common... I have played with Druid and SQL4X (Mac OS X and
commercial).

Open question:

Has anyone on the list compiled pgaccess themselves with the correct
locale?

Cheers

Tony Grant