Encrypting

From
Herb Blacker
Date:
I've looked thru the docs and haven't found anything on data encryption.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but can someone tell me where I
can
get hold of a method of encrypting the data in a field (i.e. a password
field)?

If there's something already generated, I would apppreciate not
having to build my own.
--
_________________________
Herb Blacker

Re: Encrypting

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Herb Blacker wrote:

> I've looked thru the docs and haven't found anything on data encryption.
>
> I'm sure this has been discussed before, but can someone tell me where I
> can
> get hold of a method of encrypting the data in a field (i.e. a password
> field)?
>
> If there's something already generated, I would apppreciate not
> having to build my own.

You might want to look at contrib/pgcrypto

Re: Encrypting

From
"Dan Langille"
Date:
On 22 Mar 2002 at 16:43, Herb Blacker wrote:

> I've looked thru the docs and haven't found anything on data encryption.

There is something in the contrib directory.  For details on how I put
that into my database, see http://www.freebsddiary.org/postgresql-7.2.php
and look for the section titled "The Crypto".  Also included is how I
added "Soundex/Fuzzy matching", also in the contrib section.

[yes, it's FreeBSD-centric, but the basic instructions should get you
going under any other OS]
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples