Modifying text data?

From
e_arizon_benito@yahoo.com (Enrique Arizón Benito)
Date:
Hi,
 I'm trying to modify text fields in an "automatic" way so to be able
for example, to change any 'Canada' substring occurrence with the
UPPER CASE equivalent "CANADA", with the added option 'Canada'
appearing anywhere inside the text field.
While it is very easy to find matching registers by using regular
expresions, (SELECT * from my_table where my_columm ~* 'canada'; in
previous example) I find no way to change them afterwards, but
manually updating each register.

 Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Re: Modifying text data?

From
Darren Ferguson
Date:
Check out UPPER() and LOWER() functions these will help you

i.e. upper(canada)
CANADA

i.e. lower(CAnada)
canada

i.e. initcap(canada)
Canada

HTH
Darren Ferguson

On 8 Mar 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Enrique Ariz�n Benito wrote:

> Hi,
>  I'm trying to modify text fields in an "automatic" way so to be able
> for example, to change any 'Canada' substring occurrence with the
> UPPER CASE equivalent "CANADA", with the added option 'Canada'
> appearing anywhere inside the text field.
> While it is very easy to find matching registers by using regular
> expresions, (SELECT * from my_table where my_columm ~* 'canada'; in
> previous example) I find no way to change them afterwards, but
> manually updating each register.
>
>  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Modifying text data?

From
"Jacob Vennervald Madsen"
Date:
I would guess you will have to make a stored procedure to handle that.

Jacob Vennervald

Stephan Szabo
Date:
On 8 Mar 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Enrique Ariz�n Benito wrote:

> Hi,
>  I'm trying to modify text fields in an "automatic" way so to be able
> for example, to change any 'Canada' substring occurrence with the
> UPPER CASE equivalent "CANADA", with the added option 'Canada'
> appearing anywhere inside the text field.
> While it is very easy to find matching registers by using regular
> expresions, (SELECT * from my_table where my_columm ~* 'canada'; in
> previous example) I find no way to change them afterwards, but
> manually updating each register.
>
>  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

You might want to look into pl/perl, soundslike something that'd be easy
to do there.