Views of views, complexity and speed.

From
bombadil@wanadoo.es
Date:
 Hello list.

 I have a question about complexity of queries and performance. I only
 look for qualified opinions and comments.

 In my database I have a pool of tables and views with rules for
 inserting, updating and deleting.

 In order to avoid complexity, some views looks in other views and
 join them for getting data.

 I see queries against that views result slower than queries against
 plane tables or simple views by an order of magnitude (when not two).

 My question is: if I would make complex views looking in plain tables
 instead of other views, could I gain speed with the cost of more
 difficult maintainability and readability?

 Sorry for lazy data and arguments. If any of you think that detailed
 tables and views may help, i can send them without problem.

 Thanks for any opinion.

                             David

Re: Views of views, complexity and speed.

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
bombadil@wanadoo.es wrote:
>  Hello list.
>
>  I have a question about complexity of queries and performance. I only
>  look for qualified opinions and comments.
>
>  In my database I have a pool of tables and views with rules for
>  inserting, updating and deleting.
>
>  In order to avoid complexity, some views looks in other views and
>  join them for getting data.
>
>  I see queries against that views result slower than queries against
>  plane tables or simple views by an order of magnitude (when not two).
>
>  My question is: if I would make complex views looking in plain tables
>  instead of other views, could I gain speed with the cost of more
>  difficult maintainability and readability?
>
>  Sorry for lazy data and arguments. If any of you think that detailed
>  tables and views may help, i can send them without problem.

    Asking  for  qualified  opinions and comments "only" and then
    beeing lazy on data and arguments, tztztz ... man!

    The question I have is what do you really compare?  You  said
    "looking  in  plain tables instead of other views". Does that
    mean your query is faster when you build one big view against
    all  the base tables instead of cascaded views, or what? What
    is the performance difference if you  instead  of  using  the
    cascaded  views  query  all  the  base  tables  in a big join
    directly?

Jan

Date:
El martes 05 de febrero, Jan Wieck escribió:
> bombadil@wanadoo.es wrote:
> >  In order to avoid complexity, some views looks in other views and
> >  join them for getting data.
> >
> >  I see queries against that views result slower than queries against
> >  plane tables or simple views by an order of magnitude (when not two).
> >
> >  My question is: if I would make complex views looking in plain tables
> >  instead of other views, could I gain speed with the cost of more
> >  difficult maintainability and readability?
> >
> >  Sorry for lazy data and arguments. If any of you think that detailed
> >  tables and views may help, i can send them without problem.
>
>     Asking  for  qualified  opinions and comments "only" and then
>     beeing lazy on data and arguments, tztztz ... man!

 Emmmmm, sorry 0:)

>     The question I have is what do you really compare?  You  said
>     "looking  in  plain tables instead of other views". Does that
>     mean your query is faster when you build one big view against
>     all  the base tables instead of cascaded views, or what? What
>     is the performance difference if you  instead  of  using  the
>     cascaded  views  query  all  the  base  tables  in a big join
>     directly?

 Your comment resumes very well my essential question. I only want to
 know if there is a reason for thinkink that a cascade of views can be
 slower than a complex view that includes all tables. Is the planner
 well tuned for working with this complex cases (cascade of views)?

 Actually I am making experiments with all this stuff. Better idea
 than sending a lazy question in the list.

 Sorry again, and thanks for interest.

 Greets.

Date:
bombadil@wanadoo.es wrote:
> El martes 05 de febrero, Jan Wieck escribió:
> >     The question I have is what do you really compare?  You  said
> >     "looking  in  plain tables instead of other views". Does that
> >     mean your query is faster when you build one big view against
> >     all  the base tables instead of cascaded views, or what? What
> >     is the performance difference if you  instead  of  using  the
> >     cascaded  views  query  all  the  base  tables  in a big join
> >     directly?
>
>  Your comment resumes very well my essential question. I only want to
>  know if there is a reason for thinkink that a cascade of views can be
>  slower than a complex view that includes all tables. Is the planner
>  well tuned for working with this complex cases (cascade of views)?
>
>  Actually I am making experiments with all this stuff. Better idea
>  than sending a lazy question in the list.

    In  principle  the  penalty  for  cascading  views  should be
    negligible, because the resulting queryplan  after  rewriting
    ought  to  be  comparable  to what you would have to write as
    query yourself, if you wouldn't have views at all.  So  after
    some  recursion  in  the  rewriter, the planner and optimizer
    should face the same join problem.

    As long as your not gonna  write  triggers  to  maintain  the
    information  you  want  from  the  views in plain tables, the
    answer  is  that  there   is   no   significant   performance
    difference.

Jan

Date:
El martes 05 de febrero, Jan Wieck escribió:
> >  In order to avoid complexity, some views looks in other views and
> >  join them for getting data.
> >
> >  I see queries against that views result slower than queries against
> >  plane tables or simple views by an order of magnitude (when not two).
> >
> >  My question is: if I would make complex views looking in plain tables
> >  instead of other views, could I gain speed with the cost of more
> >  difficult maintainability and readability?
> >
> >  Sorry for lazy data and arguments. If any of you think that detailed
> >  tables and views may help, i can send them without problem.
>
>     Asking  for  qualified  opinions and comments "only" and then
>     beeing lazy on data and arguments, tztztz ... man!

 Emmmm, sorry 0:)

 I know that message was very inappropiate.

>     The question I have is what do you really compare?  You  said
>     "looking  in  plain tables instead of other views". Does that
>     mean your query is faster when you build one big view against
>     all  the base tables instead of cascaded views, or what?

 Now I am experimenting with this. It is what I should have done before
 asking lazily in list.

 But...

>     What is the performance difference if you  instead  of  using  the
>     cascaded  views  query  all  the  base  tables  in a big join
>     directly?

 This is real question in my mind. Do it exist any reason for views in
 cascade being slower than a complex view with all tables joined? Is it
 the planner well tuned for views in cascade?

 I will continue making experiments. In fact, i have win a few seconds
 in some of my views.

 Sorry again for laziness (and my pathetic english) and thanks for
 your interest.

 Greets.

                             David